Common lead vs radiogenic lead

• Thread starter Puchinita5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead
In summary, lead-lead dating is a method used to determine the age of objects, specifically the solar system using meteorites. The concept of "common lead" refers to stable isotopes of lead that are not formed through radioactive decay, while "radiogenic lead" is formed through decay and "initial lead abundances" refer to the lead present in a sample at the time of its crystallization. Common lead is a combination of initial lead and lead introduced through terrestrial contamination.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

Learning about lead-lead dating to determine the age of things (specifically the solar system using meteorites)... I can't seem to understand what the meaning of "common lead" is. So far the best I'm getting is that it is some sort of contaminant.

What is the relationship/difference between the common lead, radiogenic lead that was formed from decay, and initial lead abundances. Is it the same as an initial lead abundance? I'm confused.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several stable isotopes of lead, only one of which is not formed as the result of the radioactive decay of heavier elements. Lead isotopes which result from radioactive decay are called 'radiogenic'. Lead-lead dating uses the ratio of the amount of 'radiogenic' lead to the amount of 'non-radiogenic' lead to estimate age.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-lead_dating

yes but in my equations we have COMMON 207, 206, and 204 Pb compared with radiogenic 207 and 206Pb and non-radiogenic 204Pb. So what is common lead? My reference states "common, the lead that was present in the sample at the time of its crystallization and the lead introduced by terrestrial contamination."

So is common lead just the abundance of initial lead combined with contamination lead? Hmm.

Related to Common lead vs radiogenic lead

What is common lead?

Common lead, also known as natural lead, is the lead isotope that is present in the Earth's crust and mantle.

What is radiogenic lead?

Radiogenic lead is the lead isotope that is formed through the decay of radioactive elements, such as uranium and thorium, in the Earth's crust and mantle.

What is the difference between common lead and radiogenic lead?

The main difference between common lead and radiogenic lead is their origin. Common lead is naturally present in the Earth's crust and mantle, while radiogenic lead is formed through the decay of radioactive elements. This results in different isotopic compositions and ages for the two types of lead.

Why is common lead vs radiogenic lead important in geochronology?

Common lead vs radiogenic lead is important in geochronology because it allows scientists to determine the age of rocks and minerals. By measuring the ratios of these two types of lead, scientists can calculate the amount of time that has passed since the formation of a rock or mineral.

How is common lead vs radiogenic lead measured?

Common lead vs radiogenic lead is measured using a technique called isotope analysis. This involves separating the different isotopes of lead and then using a mass spectrometer to measure the ratios of these isotopes. The resulting data can then be used to determine the age of a sample.