Common Volume of 2 unequal cylinders with axis that don't intersect

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of two intersecting circular cylinders of unequal radius and axis that don't intersect but are at right angles. The solution involves calculating the volume of each cylinder separately and subtracting the overlapping volume. This can be done by finding the distance between the centers of the cylinders and using the formula for the volume of a cylinder.
bigbsonnier
1. This isn't homework, this is personal study, but i think it really fits the form of a "textbook style question".

I need to find the volume of two intersecting circular cylinders of unequal radius and axis that don't intersect but are at right angles.

2. i have no relevant equations assided from the common axis equations. i tried to look at the problem from a stand point of two circle segements and i think i blew a fuse in my head.

for those interested the common axis equation is located here

http://nistdigitalarchives.contentd...object/collection/p13011coll6/id/78660/rec/20

and here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=18954

3. As stated before my attempt at a theoretical solution fried something so i will get the data i need right now empirically via 3d software but i know the answer to this question would help me in the future.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for sharing your question with us. Finding the volume of intersecting cylinders may seem daunting, but with the right approach, it can be solved. Let's break down the problem into smaller parts and work towards a solution together.

First, let's define the variables we will be using. Let R1 and R2 be the radii of the two cylinders, and let L1 and L2 be their respective lengths. We can also define the distance between the centers of the cylinders as d.

To find the volume of the intersecting cylinders, we need to calculate the volume of each cylinder separately, and then subtract the overlapping volume. To do this, we can use the formula for the volume of a cylinder, V = πr²h, where r is the radius and h is the height.

Let's start by finding the volume of the first cylinder, V1 = πR1²L1. Similarly, the volume of the second cylinder is V2 = πR2²L2.

Next, we need to find the overlapping volume. This can be done by finding the volume of the intersection of the two cylinders, which is essentially a cylinder with a height of d and a radius equal to the difference between the radii of the two cylinders, (R2 - R1). Using the formula for the volume of a cylinder, we get Voverlap = π(R2 - R1)²d.

Therefore, the total volume of the intersecting cylinders is Vtotal = V1 + V2 - Voverlap.

To calculate this volume, we need to know the values of R1, R2, L1, L2, and d. If you have access to 3D software, you can input these values and get the result. However, if you want to solve it theoretically, you will need to find a way to calculate these values.

One approach could be to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the diagonal of the intersecting cylinders, which would give us the distance d. From there, we can use the axis equations you mentioned in your post to find the lengths L1 and L2.

I hope this helps you in your personal study. Good luck!

1. What is the common volume of two unequal cylinders with axis that don't intersect?

The common volume of two unequal cylinders with axis that don't intersect is the amount of space that is shared by both cylinders. This can be calculated by finding the volume of each cylinder and then subtracting the volume of the smaller cylinder from the larger one.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder?

The volume of a cylinder can be calculated by using the formula V = πr^2h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the base of the cylinder, and h is the height of the cylinder.

3. Can the common volume of two unequal cylinders be negative?

No, the common volume of two unequal cylinders cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value.

4. Can the axis of two cylinders ever intersect?

No, the axis of two cylinders can never intersect. This is because the axis is a straight line that extends infinitely and two lines can only intersect at one point. Since cylinders have circular bases, their axis can never intersect.

5. How can the common volume of two unequal cylinders be used in real-world applications?

The common volume of two unequal cylinders can be used in various real-world applications such as calculating the volume of two overlapping pipes or tubes, determining the capacity of a container with a curved shape, and finding the optimal size of cylindrical containers for packaging or storage purposes.