STRACT: Understanding the Commutator of Position and Hamiltonian Operators

• Thread starter 8614smith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the equation for homework statement is x\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\delta^2}{\delta{x^2}}+V\right)\Psi-\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\delta^2}{\delta{x^2}}+V\right)x\psi.
8614smith

Homework Statement

Determine [tex]\left[\hat{x},\hat{H}\right][/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]=x\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\delta^2}{\delta{x^2}}+V\right)\Psi-\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\delta^2}{\delta{x^2}}+V\right)x\psi[/tex]

[tex]x\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\delta^2}\psi}{\delta{x^2}}+V\psi\right)+\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\delta^2}(x\psi)}{\delta{x^2}}-Vx\psi[/tex]

[tex]x\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\delta^2}}{\delta{x^2}}\right)+\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\delta}{\delta{x}}\left(\psi+x\frac{\delta\psi}{\delta{x}}\right)[/tex]

How do you get from the 2nd line to the 3rd? is it an identity of partial differentials? can someone explain how to split the d squared term into two separate parts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 8614smith! :smile:

(use "\partial" not "\delta" :wink:)

Hint: ∂2/∂x2(xψ) = (∂2x/∂x2)ψ + 2(∂x/∂x)(∂ψ/∂x) + x∂2/∂x2(ψ) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi 8614smith! :smile:

(use "\partial" not "\delta" :wink:)

Hint: ∂2/∂x2(xψ) = (∂2x/∂x2)ψ + 2(∂x/∂x)(∂ψ/∂x) + x∂2/∂x2(ψ) :wink:

And one more hint: (∂2x/∂x2)ψ = 0.

Altabeh said:
And one more hint: (∂2x/∂x2)ψ = 0.
why does this = 0? i would have thought it would equal [tex]\psi[/tex]

Hint: ∂2/∂x2(xψ) = (∂2x/∂x2)ψ + 2(∂x/∂x)(∂ψ/∂x) + x∂2/∂x2(ψ)
assuming the above quote is correct and the 1st term = 0, I have got to the 3rd line - except that i now have an extra 2 in the equation, how do i get rid of this?

and has your identity worked the same way as expanding expanding ( )^2?

8614smith said:

assuming the above quote is correct and the 1st term = 0, I have got to the 3rd line - except that i now have an extra 2 in the equation, how do i get rid of this?

and has your identity worked the same way as expanding expanding ( )^2?

But I got the right answer. Let's make it look better: [tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial^2} (x\psi)}{\partial{x^2}}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial}}{\partial{x}}\left(\frac{{\partial} (x\psi)}{\partial{x}}\right)[/tex]. Now use the simple rule (xy)'=x'y+y'x and see what happens.
AB

8614smith said:

It would be like that if it were (∂x/∂x)ψ.

Altabeh said:
But I got the right answer. Let's make it look better: [tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial^2} (x\psi)}{\partial{x^2}}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial}}{\partial{x}}\left(\frac{{\partial} (x\psi)}{\partial{x}}\right)[/tex]. Now use the simple rule (xy)'=x'y+y'x and see what happens.
AB

if i use the product rule on both sides then i just get the same thing on both sides. meaning i just have 0? or have i done that wrong?

The answer quoted for this problem is [tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{m}\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}[/tex]

8614smith said:
if i use the product rule on both sides then i just get the same thing on both sides. meaning i just have 0? or have i done that wrong?

The answer quoted for this problem is [tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{m}\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}[/tex]

It means that you have done it right. Let's take the final step:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial^2} (x\psi)}{\partial{x^2}}=
\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial}}{\partial{x}}\left(\frac{{\partial} (x\psi)}{\partial{x}}\right)=
\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial}}{\partial{x}}\left(\frac{{\partial} (x)}{\partial{x}}\psi+x\frac{{\partial} (\psi)}{\partial{x}}\right)=
\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial}}{\partial{x}}\left(\psi+x\frac{{\partial} (\psi)}{\partial{x}}\right)[/tex]. So we ended up getting the expression in the parenthesis of desired answer. You see it, right?!

AB

Related to STRACT: Understanding the Commutator of Position and Hamiltonian Operators

1. What is a commutator in mathematics?

A commutator in mathematics is a binary operation that measures the extent to which two other operations, A and B, fail to commute. In other words, it measures how much the order of A and B matters in the final result.

2. How do you solve a commutator maths problem?

To solve a commutator maths problem, you must first identify the two operations involved and their respective orders. Then, you can use the formula [A, B] = AB - BA to calculate the commutator. The result will tell you how much the order of the operations matters in the final answer.

3. What is the significance of commutator in mathematics?

The commutator is significant in mathematics because it helps us understand the relationship between two operations and how their order affects the outcome. It is also used in various branches of mathematics, such as group theory and Lie algebras, to study the properties of mathematical structures.

4. Can you provide an example of a commutator maths problem?

One example of a commutator maths problem is calculating the commutator of addition and multiplication. The commutator, [+, *], is equal to +* - *+ = 0, indicating that the order of addition and multiplication does not matter in this case.

5. How is the commutator related to the concept of commutativity?

The commutator is closely related to the concept of commutativity, as it measures the failure of two operations to commute. If the commutator is equal to 0, then the operations are commutative, meaning their order does not affect the result. A non-zero commutator indicates non-commutativity.