Commutator problem with momentum operators

In summary, the commutator [\hat{L}_{x},\hat{P}_{y}]=i\hbar\hat{P}_{z}. Using the given equations, the commutator was expanded and simplified by factoring out \frac{\hbar}{i} and using the product rule. By canceling out terms with symmetric partial derivatives, it was shown that the given commutator holds true.
hellomister

Homework Statement

Find the commutator [tex]
\left[\hat{p_{x}},\hat{p_{y}}\right]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \hat{p_{x}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex] \hat{p_{y}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex][\hat{p}_{x}, \hat{p}_{y}]=\hat{p}_{x}\hat{p}_{y}-\hat{p}_{y}\hat{p}_{x}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex]=(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x\partial y}-(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y\partial x}[/tex]

Is this the correct commutator? I don't know what else I can do to further complete this. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's fine. But partial derivatives commute in the physics sense. Your two partial derivatives are equal.

Okay thanks for the response, i have a similar problem to that of the first that I put up, but I am very confused.

Problem
Show that [tex] [\hat{L}_{x},\hat{P}_{y}]=i\hbar\hat{P}_{z}.
(Note: \hat{L}_{x}=y\hat{P}_{z}-z\hat{P}_{y})[/tex]
Televant equations
[tex] \hat{p_{x}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex] \hat{p_{y}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

[tex] \hat{p_{z}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial z} [/tex]

Attempt
So i started out by just writing out the commutator in the general form:

(1) [tex] \hat{L}_{x}\hat{P}_{y}-\hat{P}_{y}\hat{L}_{x}[/tex]

Then I slowly substituted some equations
(2) [tex](y\hat{P}_{z}-z\hat{P}_{y})\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\psi-\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(y\hat{P}_{z}\psi-z\hat{P}_{y}\psi)[/tex]

(3)[tex](y\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y})\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\psi-\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(y\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\psi-z\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\psi)[/tex]

I decided to factor out \frac{\hbar}{i}
[tex](4)(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y}-(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y}) [/tex]

Now I'm not sure what to do..

Now start expanding the derivatives in the second term using the product rule. Look for cancellations with symmetric partial derivatives like dy*dz vs dz*dy.

Last edited:
okay so then i got this

(5) [tex](\frac{\hbar}{i})^2(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})-(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}+y\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}-\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}+z\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})[/tex]

So then would [tex]y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y} y\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}[/tex] cancel out? I'm not sure what you mean by cancel out haha, i have a really bad math foundation if you could please explain that would help a lot. Also did i do that last line correctly?

[tex]z\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}[/tex] This term would also go away right?

Thanks for all your help!

hellomister said:
okay so then i got this

(5) [tex](\frac{\hbar}{i})^2(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})-(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}+y\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}-\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}+z\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})[/tex]

So then would [tex]y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y} y\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}[/tex] cancel out? I'm not sure what you mean by cancel out haha, i have a really bad math foundation if you could please explain that would help a lot. Also did i do that last line correctly?

[tex]z\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}[/tex] This term would also go away right?

Thanks for all your help!

1- The last term has a wrong sign.
2- By 'canceling out' one means finding a term with exactly the same form of a given term in the equation but with reversed sign so both would disappear. As in x+y-z-x=0, x and -x cancel out each other and the equation reduces to y-z=0.
2- Remember that derivatives have no order in the sense that [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x}[/tex].
4- Now start canceling out terms and I'd recall that the derivative of coordinates wrt each other vanishes.

AB

what about the (partial z/ partial y) (partial psi/ partial y)?
What does that become?

hellomister said:
what about the (partial z/ partial y) (partial psi/ partial y)?
What does that become?

Didn't you notice my fourth remark?!

AB

ahh I see what you mean. Thanks for all the help!

1. What is the Commutator problem with momentum operators?

The Commutator problem with momentum operators is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that deals with the non-commutativity of two operators, specifically the momentum operators. This problem arises when trying to simultaneously measure the momentum and position of a particle, as these operators do not commute.

2. Why is the Commutator problem with momentum operators important?

The Commutator problem with momentum operators is important because it reveals the fundamental uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's momentum and position. This uncertainty is a key principle in quantum mechanics and has significant implications in the behavior and properties of particles at the microscopic level.

3. How is the Commutator problem with momentum operators solved?

The Commutator problem with momentum operators is solved by using the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in the measurement of momentum and position must be greater than or equal to a certain value. This principle helps to determine the relationship between the two operators and the inherent uncertainty in their measurements.

4. What is the mathematical representation of the Commutator problem with momentum operators?

The mathematical representation of the Commutator problem with momentum operators is the commutator itself, which is defined as [A,B] = AB - BA. In the case of momentum operators, the commutator is represented as [p,x] = iℓ, where p is the momentum operator, x is the position operator, and ℓ is the reduced Planck's constant.

5. How does the Commutator problem with momentum operators relate to the uncertainty principle?

The Commutator problem with momentum operators is directly related to the uncertainty principle, as the non-commutativity of the momentum and position operators is the basis for the uncertainty in their measurements. The commutator relationship between these operators is used to derive the uncertainty principle, which places a limit on the precision with which these properties can be simultaneously measured.