1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator problem with momentum operators

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the commutator [tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \hat{p_{x}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex] \hat{p_{y}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex][\hat{p}_{x}, \hat{p}_{y}]=\hat{p}_{x}\hat{p}_{y}-\hat{p}_{y}\hat{p}_{x}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex]=(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x\partial y}-(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y\partial x}[/tex]

Is this the correct commutator? I don't know what else I can do to further complete this. Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's fine. But partial derivatives commute in the physics sense. Your two partial derivatives are equal.
  4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Okay thanks for the response, i have a similar problem to that of the first that I put up, but I am very confused.

Show that [tex] [\hat{L}_{x},\hat{P}_{y}]=i\hbar\hat{P}_{z}.
    (Note: \hat{L}_{x}=y\hat{P}_{z}-z\hat{P}_{y})[/tex]
    Televant equations
    [tex] \hat{p_{x}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex] \hat{p_{y}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

[tex] \hat{p_{z}}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial z} [/tex]

So i started out by just writing out the commutator in the general form:

(1) [tex] \hat{L}_{x}\hat{P}_{y}-\hat{P}_{y}\hat{L}_{x}[/tex]

Then I slowly substituted some equations
    (2) [tex](y\hat{P}_{z}-z\hat{P}_{y})\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\psi-\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(y\hat{P}_{z}\psi-z\hat{P}_{y}\psi)[/tex]

(3)[tex](y\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y})\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\psi-\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(y\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\psi-z\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\psi)[/tex]

I decided to factor out \frac{\hbar}{i}
    [tex](4)(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y}-(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y}) [/tex]

Now i'm not sure what to do..
  5. Jan 24, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now start expanding the derivatives in the second term using the product rule. Look for cancellations with symmetric partial derivatives like dy*dz vs dz*dy.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. Jan 25, 2010 #5
    okay so then i got this

(5) [tex](\frac{\hbar}{i})^2(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})-(\frac{\hbar}{i})^2(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}+y\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}-\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}+z\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})[/tex]

So then would [tex]y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y} y\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}[/tex] cancel out? I'm not sure what you mean by cancel out haha, i have a really bad math foundation if you could please explain that would help a lot. Also did i do that last line correctly?

[tex]z\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}[/tex] This term would also go away right?

Thanks for all your help!
  7. Jan 25, 2010 #6
    1- The last term has a wrong sign.
    2- By 'canceling out' one means finding a term with exactly the same form of a given term in the equation but with reversed sign so both would disappear. As in x+y-z-x=0, x and -x cancel out each other and the equation reduces to y-z=0.
    2- Remember that derivatives have no order in the sense that [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x}[/tex].
    4- Now start canceling out terms and I'd recall that the derivative of coordinates wrt each other vanishes.

8. Jan 26, 2010 #7
    what about the (partial z/ partial y) (partial psi/ partial y)?
    What does that become?
  9. Jan 26, 2010 #8
    Didn't you notice my fourth remark?!

10. Jan 28, 2010 #9
    ahh I see what you mean. Thanks for all the help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook