Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commuting operators

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    I forgot the exact terminology for these types of operators but here goes.

take for example the operators x, and p.

the commuter equals i(h bar), and the eigenvectors are fourier transforms of eachother.

my question is, how do you go about proving at least one of the properties listed above without referencing any functional form of x or p aka start with the most basic axioms possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

Isn't it the idea to take the Poissonbrackets in classical mechanics and then "quantize" these brackets?

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    I remember that being one ofthe methods that was used, I really am curious about the different methods. or whats necessary and sufficient condition effectively.

For instance one professor of mine effectivley made it an axiom that the inner product of a x state vector and a p vector was equal to EXP[ipx] and went on to derive the schrodinger equation from that, and a couple of the commutation relations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook