1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compact set

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    I can't understand why the set [tex]\mathcal{A}=\left\{\frac{1}{2^n};\,n\in\mathbb{N}\right\}[/tex] is not compact, while [tex]\mathcal{A}\cup\{0\}[/tex] is. I know that set is compact if and only if it's closed and bounded, so in order to make set [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] closed, we need to include zero, as it's condesation point of this set. Another definiton of compact set tells me, that the set [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] is compact if we are able to construct finite cover of all open covers for this set. Now I'm constructing open cover for set [tex]A[/tex]. For example open intervals
    [tex]\left(\frac{1}{5},2\right),\left(\frac{1}{4},\frac{3}{2}\right),\left(-1,\frac{1}{3}\right)[/tex]
    and I'm able to find finite cover
    [tex]\left(\frac{1}{5},2\right),\left(-1,\frac{1}{3}\right)[/tex]
    It's true that
    [tex]\mathcal{A}\subset\left(\frac{1}{5},2\right)\cup\left(-1,\frac{1}{3}\right)[/tex]
    Where's the problem? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2
    The problem is you misunderstood the second definition. It's not "compact iff you can find an open cover with a finite subcover", it's "compact iff EVERY open cover has a finite subcover".

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    aha, thanx. So, for example for cover
    [tex]\bigcup_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{2^n},\frac{1}{2^n}+\frac{1}{10}\right)[/tex]
    there's no finite subcover. Is it correct?

5. Aug 5, 2009 #4
    Indeed. In this case, for example, the open cover [tex]\left\{ \left( 1/n, 1 \right) \; : \; n \in \mathbb{N} \right\}[/tex] does not have a finite subcover (why?).

6. Aug 5, 2009 #5
    If such finite cover exists, then for some N
    [tex]\mathcal{A}\subset\bigcup_{n=1}^{N}\left(\frac{1}{n},1\right)=\left(\frac{1}{N},1\right)[/tex]
    That's not true, because there exists [tex]\frac{1}{N+1}[/tex] which is not covered.

ThanX :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook