Comparing 2 Improper Integrals: Convergence & Criteria

• Thread starter DavideGenoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the improper Riemann integral converges, while the improper Riemann integral ##\int_0^1 \frac{1}{x}\sin\frac{1}{x}dx## does not.
DavideGenoa
I read that the improper Riemann integral ##\int_0^1 \frac{1}{x}\sin\frac{1}{x}dx## converges and that ##\int_0^1 |\frac{1}{x}\sin\frac{1}{x}|dx## does not.
I have tried comparison criteria for ##\int_0^1 |\frac{1}{x}\sin\frac{1}{x}|dx##, but I cannot find a function ##f## with a divergent integral such that ##0\leq f(x)\leq|\frac{1}{x}\sin\frac{1}{x}|##.
I heartily thank you for any help!

EDIT: I have managed to use complex analysis to show that ##\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x}\sin xdx=\frac{\pi}{2}##, but, with a change of variable, I see that ##\int_0^1 \frac{1}{x}\sin\frac{1}{x}dx=\int_1^{\infty}\frac{1}{x}\sin x dx##. ##\frac{1}{x}\sin x## is integrable on ##[0,1]## (it can be "made continuous" in 0 where it approaches 1), therefore ##\int_0^1 \frac{1}{x}\sin\frac{1}{x}dx## converges.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A lower bound for the integrand is "f(x)=0.1/x if |sin(1/x)| > 0.1, f(x)=0 otherwise". The first case always has larger intervals than the second, so you can combine those intervals to find another lower bound that diverges.

Likes DavideGenoa
Let y = 1/x, for both. You will see that the absolute value case can be easily studied. |sinx/x| < c/x for most of the domain of integration.

Likes DavideGenoa
Thank you both!
mathman said:
|sinx/x| < c/x for most of the domain of integration.
Forgive my ununderstanding: how can we use the fact to show that ##\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{x}|\sin(\frac{1}{x}|) dx##, which I do see to be the same as ##\int_{1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{x}|\sin(x)| dx##, diverges?

mfb said:
A lower bound for the integrand is "f(x)=0.1/x if |sin(1/x)| > 0.1, f(x)=0 otherwise". The first case always has larger intervals than the second, so you can combine those intervals to find another lower bound that diverges.
Excuse me: how do we rigourously see that the intervals where ##f(x)=0.1/x## are larger than where ##f(x)=0##, and how do we see that it diverges? I do know that ##\frac{1}{10}\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{x}dx## does, but "some pieces" are lacking here and I am not having any idea to verify that...

I heartily thank you both again!

DavideGenoa said:
Thank you both!
Forgive my ununderstanding: how can we use the fact to show that ##\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{x}|\sin(\frac{1}{x}|) dx##, which I do see to be the same as ##\int_{1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{x}|\sin(x)| dx##, diverges?

Excuse me: how do we rigourously see that the intervals where ##f(x)=0.1/x## are larger than where ##f(x)=0##, and how do we see that it diverges? I do know that ##\frac{1}{10}\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{x}dx## does, but "some pieces" are lacking here and I am not having any idea to verify that...

I heartily thank you both again!
All you need to check is one cycle of sinx.

Likes DavideGenoa
One half-cycle will do the job. If you want to do it in detail, it will take some steps, but it is possible. The value of 0.1 is chosen in a way to give enough room for useful approximations (but you can also use 0.01 if you want).

Likes DavideGenoa

Related to Comparing 2 Improper Integrals: Convergence & Criteria

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or the integrand is not defined at certain points within the interval of integration. This results in either a divergent or undefined value for the integral.

2. How do you determine if an improper integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral, you can use one of several criteria, such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, or the integral test. These tests compare the given integral to a known convergent or divergent integral in order to make a determination.

3. What is the comparison test?

The comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of improper integrals by comparing them to a known convergent or divergent integral. This is done by finding an upper and lower bound for the given integral and showing that it is smaller or larger than the known integral.

4. When should the limit comparison test be used?

The limit comparison test should be used when the integrand of the given improper integral is difficult to compare to a known integral. This test involves taking the limit of the ratio between the two integrals to determine if they have the same convergence or divergence.

5. What is the integral test?

The integral test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of improper integrals by comparing them to a known infinite series. This test involves converting the integral into a summation and then comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series.