Comparing Automobile Fuels: Petroleum vs Diesel vs LPG

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a controversial and relevant topic related to the chemistry of cars for a review of 6 journal articles. The topic should allow for easy identification of biases and use of chemistry terminology. Suggestions such as comparing hybrid cars to petrol cars or examining the chemistries of new battery technologies are proposed, as well as alternative fuels and the use of air or nitrogen in tires. The potential controversies surrounding these topics are also discussed, such as cost versus benefits and safety concerns with new technologies. Ultimately, the goal is to find a topic that is both interesting and relevant to the modern world.
prime-factor
I need to review 6 journal articles (approx. 150 words/article) relating to chemistry of the car (any topic). I need a topic which is going to allow me to easily identify the biases of the people who wrote the article, and that will be somewhat controversial, interesting and relevant to our modern world.

I have been thinking about looking at the pros/cons of different types of fuels e.g. petroleum vs diesel vs LPG. I was thinking that comparing hybrid cars to petrol cars may be a good topic, as there will probably be some bias on both sides.

In essence, I need a topic with enough substantial chemistry to evaluate using chemistry terminology, whilst at the same time being controversial, interesting, with bias able to be easily (or somewhat easily) identified.

I will greatly appreciate any suggestions for good topics I should consider, as well as any advice as to how to approach such a task.

Thanks in Advance guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
The chemicals use in air conditioning in cars are controversial, I think.

The chemistries of the various new battery technologies used in hybrid and electric cars may have some controversial issues. I know that in EMS, we are quite concerned about auto accidents with these types of cars. We're pretty used to working with leaking gasoline, oil, etc. But lots of battery electrolytes and sparks and high voltages and such are new concerns...

What about alternative fuels (hydrogen, ethanol, biodiesel, electric, etc.). There's a lot of controversy about those (costs v. benefits, which one is better, are they better than trying to improve conventional technologies).

Air vs nitrogen in tyres.

Related to Comparing Automobile Fuels: Petroleum vs Diesel vs LPG

1. What are the main differences between petroleum, diesel, and LPG as automobile fuels?

Petroleum, also known as gasoline, is a liquid fuel made from crude oil and is the most commonly used fuel for automobiles. Diesel, on the other hand, is a liquid fuel made from crude oil that is more efficient and has a higher energy density than gasoline. LPG, or liquefied petroleum gas, is a mixture of propane and butane gases that is used as an alternative fuel for vehicles.

2. Which type of fuel is the most cost-effective for automobiles?

The cost-effectiveness of a fuel depends on several factors, such as the current market price, vehicle efficiency, and driving habits. Generally, diesel is considered to be the most cost-effective fuel due to its higher energy density and lower price per gallon compared to gasoline. LPG can also be cost-effective, especially in countries where it is heavily subsidized.

3. How do the environmental impacts of these fuels compare?

Petroleum and diesel fuels are both derived from crude oil and release carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, when burned. LPG, on the other hand, produces lower emissions of carbon dioxide and other pollutants. However, all three fuels contribute to air pollution and their environmental impacts also depend on the production and transportation processes involved.

4. Are there any performance differences between these fuels?

Each fuel has its own unique properties that can affect the performance of a vehicle. Diesel, for example, has a higher energy density and can provide better fuel economy and torque compared to gasoline. LPG, on the other hand, has a lower energy density and may result in reduced power and acceleration. The type of fuel also affects the engine's maintenance and longevity.

5. Can all types of vehicles use these fuels interchangeably?

Not all vehicles are compatible with all types of fuels. Gasoline engines cannot run on diesel or LPG without modifications, and diesel engines cannot run on gasoline or LPG without modifications. However, some vehicles are designed to be able to use multiple fuels, such as flex-fuel vehicles that can run on gasoline or ethanol. It is important to check the manufacturer's recommendations and make any necessary modifications before using an alternative fuel.