Comparing Concentrations in a 0.10 M H2SO4 Solution

• Thread starter BaO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compare
In summary, the concentration of a 0.10 M H2SO4 solution can be compared to other solutions by measuring its molarity, or the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. This can be done through titration, a process in which a known volume of the solution is reacted with a known volume of a base solution until the equivalence point is reached. The resulting titration curve can be used to determine the concentration of the solution and compare it to other solutions. Additionally, the concentration of a solution can also be expressed in terms of its pH, with a lower pH indicating a higher concentration of hydrogen ions. Overall, comparing concentrations in a 0.10 M H2SO4 solution can be done using
BaO
in a solution of 0.10 M H2SO4 , list these concentrations in order of the greatest to smallest: [H3O+], [OH-], [HSO4-], and [SO4(-2)]

the answer showed that none of those concentrations is equal to others, but i got [HSO4-]=[SO4-2] (eventhough I'm not quite sure)

could you help me out ?

thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
OH- is clearly in minor concentration.
H3O+ is clearly in major concentration, since H2SO4 is a very strong acid.
I think we agree here.
BaO said:
the answer showed that none of those concentrations is equal to others, but i got [HSO4-]=[SO4-2] (eventhough I'm not quite sure)

Since the acidity constant of HSO4- is < 1, then the following reaction is far to the left:

HSO4- + H2O <--> SO42- + H3O+

So, the concentration of HSO4- is greater than the concentration of SO42-.

I hope I was helpful to you.

:approve: :-p

PPonte said:
Since the acidity constant of HSO4- is < 1,
i don't get this part , could you please explain it more?

BaO said:
i don't get this part , could you please explain it more?
In this reaction we have an equilibrium thus;

[tex]HSO_{4}^{-}_{(aq)} + H_{2}O_{(l)} \rightleftharpoons SO_{4}^{2-}_{(aq)} + H_{3}O^{+}_{(aq)}[/tex]

Now any reaction at equilibrium has what is called an equilibrium constant, which in this case is the acidity constant Ka. This constant determines the position of the equilibrium and is temperature dependant. If Ka is high (in the case of a strong acid), then the acid has a strong tendency to dissociate and thus the equilibrium will lie to the right. However, in this case Ka is low (<<1 as the PPonte points out) therefore the equilibrium lies to the far left. Hence, at equilibrium the majority of the ions present will be the HSO4- as opposed to the HSO4- and the oxonium ions.

Further, the Ka is dependent on the concentrations of the products and reactants (water is ignored as it is in excess); the square brackets '[]' denote that we are considering concentrations;

[tex]K_{a} = \frac{\left[ H_{3}O^{+}_{(aq)} \right] \left[ SO_{4}^{2-}_{(aq)} \right]}{\left[ HSO_{4}^{-}_{(aq)} \right]}[/tex]

Now, we can see here that if Ka is < 1, then the concentration of the HSO4- ion must be greater than the others.

Further Reading
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKa" (Wikipedia)
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_constant" (Wikipedia)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Hootenanny, for clarifying my explanation. I shouldn't do it so synthetic.
:approve: :-p

i think i get it , thanks a lot everyone :biggrin:
just one more question: how did you type Ka or H3O+ ... on computer?

Related to Comparing Concentrations in a 0.10 M H2SO4 Solution

What is the purpose of comparing concentrations?

Comparing concentrations allows scientists to determine the relative amount of a substance in a solution. This can help with identifying trends, analyzing experimental data, and making predictions.

How do you calculate concentration?

Concentration is typically calculated by dividing the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) by the total volume of the solution. This can be expressed in various units such as molarity, molality, or mass percentage.

What are the different methods for measuring concentrations?

There are multiple ways to measure concentrations, including spectrophotometry, titration, and gravimetric analysis. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the properties of the substance being measured.

How does concentration affect the properties of a solution?

The concentration of a solute can significantly impact the properties of a solution, such as its density, boiling point, and freezing point. This is because the concentration affects the number of particles in the solution, which in turn affects the intermolecular interactions and overall behavior of the solution.

What are some factors that can influence the accuracy of concentration measurements?

The accuracy of concentration measurements can be influenced by various factors, such as human error, equipment limitations, and environmental conditions. It is important for scientists to carefully control and monitor these factors to ensure accurate and reliable results.