1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing Current in two different wires

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    Problem:
    Suppose wire A and wire B are made of different metals, and are subjected to the same electric field in two different circuits. Wire B has 5 times the cross-sectional area, 1.1 times as many mobile electrons per cubic centimeter, and 2 times the mobility of wire A. In the steady state, 2E18 electrons enter wire A every second. How many electrons enter wire B every second?

Equation:
    i = nAuE
    n = Electrons/cubic meter
    A = cross-sectional area
    u = mobility of electrons
    E = electric field

Solution:
    ib=ia * 2*5*1.1E6
    it is 1.1E6 because the mobility factor needs to be in electrons/ cubic meter

ib = 2.2E25

Webassign says thats wrong. I can't come up with anything else

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Omit the E6. The whole story is
    i = nAuE = 2*n1*5*A1*1.1*u1*E
    = 2*5*1.1*n1*A1*u1*E
    = 2*5*1.1*i1
    = 2*5*1.1*2E18
    If 1.1 times as many electrons per cm^3, then there will be 1.1 times as many electrons per m^3 too.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    there are a million cubic centimeters in a meter cube. if each cubic cm has 1.1 more electron then the meter cube has 1.1E6 extra electrions
    (Also, I already tried that and webassign said I was wrong).

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

No. It doesn't give a count of the extra electrons. It says the other wire has 10% more per cm^3. That means 10% more per m^3. Say the first one has 100 per cm^3. Then the second will have 110.
    Per m^3 the first one will have 100*1E6 and the second will have
    110*1E6. The ratio will be 110E6/100E6 = 1.1

Kind of like saying what if every student in the class overeats and comes back to class on Monday 10% heavier. Then the whole class together will be 10% heavier, not 10*the number of students heavier in pounds, kg or tons.

6. Oct 11, 2009 #5
    You were right. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook