Comparing Processor Efficiency: Pentium 4 vs. Pentium M vs. Athlon XP

• Thread starter Moses
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of different processors and their performance ratings. The Pentium M and Athlon models use different techniques for performance comparison, with the Pentium M being more agile and efficient due to its larger cache. The conversation also mentions the highest-performing processors currently on the market and their respective speeds. It is also noted that there will be a future release of a 3700 Sempron model. The conversation also mentions the performance superiority of Pentium III processors over Pentium 4 models, due to their different architectural designs.
Moses
Hey,
Well, being almost "illitrate" in comparing "efficiency" of processors, it wa simple to me to compare processors under the same "properties" e.g Pent I, II, III etc...

However, now i do not know what is the mechanism to use in comparing Pent M with Pent 4 or with Athlon [XP for example]

Can some body explain to me how? :biggrin:

Computer science news on Phys.org
AMD model numbers generally compare PR(performance rating)
AMD 3200XP or 3200a64 will compete with a 3.2GHz P4 generally, but the 3200 run at 2.2GHz and 1.8 or 2.0 for the a64.
Intel uses raw frequency, and AMD has incorporated instructions to make less speed just as efficient.
I use a P4 3.06GHz at 3.357GHz and it is equivilant to a 3400 a64, in gaming and what not, I have benchmarks to prove it.
Pentium M uses the AMD technique, more agile than buff, the dothan has 2MB cache, as where a P4 haS 512kb CACHE, THE CACHE DIFF ALLOWS A DOTHAN M 2GHz to compete with the P4 2.8GHz.

Thanks for that, but i want to check if my idea about the processor below is ture:

Processor:
AMD Athlon™ 64 and AMD Athlon™ XP-M processors up to 3700+

As somebody told me about a PC. If I did not understand what you said wrongly so this one is about around 3.2? [ i doubt if my answer is right..]

Is Athlon ™ a64 is exactly when you speak and say Athlon ™ 64?

i Appreaciate the help :rolleyes:

Moses said:
Thanks for that, but i want to check if my idea about the processor below is ture:

Processor:
AMD Athlon™ 64 and AMD Athlon™ XP-M processors up to 3700+

As somebody told me about a PC. If I did not understand what you said wrongly so this one is about around 3.2? [ i doubt if my answer is right..]

Is Athlon ™ a64 is exactly when you speak and say Athlon ™ 64?

i Appreaciate the help :rolleyes:
AMD A64s are a 64-bit processor.
and the fastest CPU out now is a Pentium-M dothan.
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/News/US/images/arch333a.jpg

the 3200 is 1.8GHz for the 939 socket and 2GHz for the 754 sockets, the 1.8GHz socket 939 is faster however.
there is no XP 3700, there is a 3700 sempron and 3700 a64, which is an XP, but called a Sempron.
as of now, the highest clocked AMD is 2.6GHz(stock) that is a FX-55 A64 model.
$800 something for it..
not worth the cash.
the highest speed P4 is a 3.8GHz(stock)
those models compete with each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh i see, but i just have a small bit to make it perfectly clear:

I went to the link you put, and there is Athlom 64 3700+ , I guess this is
faster than 2.5 P-M processors from the graph? I went ot compaq laptop webpage [Link below] and i saw a phrase talking about a laptop which sounds un-professional or not-clear for market reasons, see on the link follow the discription of the processor for R3000Z series compaq laptops [the one on the far left]

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...notebooks&category=compaq_presario&aoid=11075

Any comments?
Thx in advance :biggrin:

Moses said:
Oh i see, but i just have a small bit to make it perfectly clear:

I went to the link you put, and there is Athlom 64 3700+ , I guess this is
faster than 2.5 P-M processors from the graph? I went ot compaq laptop webpage [Link below] and i saw a phrase talking about a laptop which sounds un-professional or not-clear for market reasons, see on the link follow the discription of the processor for R3000Z series compaq laptops [the one on the far left]

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...notebooks&category=compaq_presario&aoid=11075

Any comments?
Thx in advance :biggrin:
what is the question?
athlon a64 3700 model is slower than the P-M at 2.8GHz, for certain things however.

alexkerhead said:
there is a 3700 sempron
No. The highest-performance-rated Sempron is the socket-754 3100+.

and 3700 a64, which is an XP, but called a Sempron.
CPUs that are called "Athlon 64" are called "Athlon 64." There is no 3700+ Sempron.

the highest speed P4 is a 3.8GHz(stock)
The 3.8GHz P4 is vaporware at this point.

The architectural substrate of Pentium M performance superiority

alexkerhead said:
Pentium M uses the AMD technique, more agile than buff, the dothan has 2MB cache, as where a P4 haS 512kb CACHE, THE CACHE DIFF ALLOWS A DOTHAN M 2GHz to compete with the P4 2.8GHz.
A 2GHz Dothan would be comparable in performance to a 4GHz P4, if there was such a thing. A Pentium III 2.0 with 512KB cache would compare with a P4 2.8.

PIIIs have been more powerful, clock for clock, than P4s since the P4 was introduced. If cache was the only reason why Dothans are faster than P4s, that would leave the PIII's superiority over the P4 an enigma. There are multiple architectural reasons why Baniases and Dothans are so much faster than P4s. Here is an article that outlines the differences and also shows the results of multiple performance benchmark comparisons. The article lists the reasons for Banias performance superiority as:

• Mid-Length pipeline
  • Micro Ops Fusion
  • Dedicated Stack Manager
  • High Performance Branch Predictor
  • Pentium 4 FSB, Pentium III Execution Units

...And the reasons for Dothan performance supremacy as:

• 2MB L2 Cache
  • More Micro Ops Fusion than Banias
  • Local Branch Prediction Improvements
  • (Mystery architecture improvement that results in) Faster Integer Division
  • Enhanced Register Access Mananger

Thanks for agreeing with me, and I DID say there was a Athlon 64 3700, there is not a 3700 sempron out now, but in the near future there will be.

CPUs that are called "Athlon 64" are called "Athlon 64." There is no 3700+ Sempron
that was a typo, it was supposed to say.
there is a A64 3700, and a XP called a sempron.
sorry for the typo.
the P3s were only faster than the Willamette P4s, the Northwoods creamed the P3s.
the Willys had lower cache, and were technologically similar to P2s..
the Northwoods were a complete redesign, for this reason, the Northwoods were implimented with more cache, and plenty helping of instructions to boot.
Then later on, more pipes were added to the P4s, and now we have a Prescott, with more pipes, more instructions, and smaller processes, and more cache from a 180nm on the willy 256KB, to a 130nm on the northy 512KB/2MB(EE), and then a 90nm on the pressy 1MB/3MB(EE).
this allows more to be placed in one area of the die(chip)
making room for more cache, and instructions

alexkerhead said:
what is the question?
QUOTE]
alexkerhead said:
Yeah, you just answered it. and i was trying to show you that there is 3700+, but you said already that there is , and the misunderstanding from my side was because of typo staff...

Well, here i will get to the reason why i am asking these questions:

I am part of student organization at the University, and we are trying to buy a laptop that it is for the organization usage, the expected work on it is not games abviously..but runnig graphic designing programs [Well, we are a bunch or Electrical/mechanical engineering...and our projects in our workshop concerns about designing cars...from motors to car body shape].

Our ceiling budget for that is going about 870$ max. And we want to a pc that will do the work...and can survive in the technology shifting for the next 3 years "aka have a good speed for 3 years run [i know we cannot predict perfectly the future..]"

Any advices about good processors concerning the issue??
I know I am mixing hardware with economics here :biggrin:

Thanks allz a lot for the previous help(s)

Moses said:
alexkerhead said:
what is the question?
QUOTE]
alexkerhead said:
Yeah, you just answered it. and i was trying to show you that there is 3700+, but you said already that there is , and the misunderstanding from my side was because of typo staff...

Well, here i will get to the reason why i am asking these questions:

I am part of student organization at the University, and we are trying to buy a laptop that it is for the organization usage, the expected work on it is not games abviously..but runnig graphic designing programs [Well, we are a bunch or Electrical/mechanical engineering...and our projects in our workshop concerns about designing cars...from motors to car body shape].

Our ceiling budget for that is going about 870$ max. And we want to a pc that will do the work...and can survive in the technology shifting for the next 3 years "aka have a good speed for 3 years run [i know we cannot predict perfectly the future..]"

Any advices about good processors concerning the issue??
I know I am mixing hardware with economics here :biggrin:

Thanks allz a lot for the previous help(s)

Intel Pentium Dothan Mobile.. 2GHz is the best
1024MB DDR RAM
80GB HDD

those should be basic specs for the perfect laptop, the P-M uses so little wattage, the battery life, and circuit life is greatly increased..
I think these specs would be ideal for your cause.
the price, well, over $870 to say, but you could each donate a little personal cash and buy a laptop that will be nice for a long time.

1. How do the Pentium 4, Pentium M, and Athlon XP processors differ in terms of efficiency?

The Pentium 4, Pentium M, and Athlon XP processors all have different architectures and designs, leading to varying levels of efficiency. The Pentium 4 was designed for high clock speeds and power, making it less efficient than the Pentium M and Athlon XP processors. The Pentium M was designed for better power consumption and heat dissipation, making it more efficient than the Pentium 4. The Athlon XP falls in between the two, with a focus on performance and efficiency.

2. Which processor is the most energy-efficient?

The Pentium M is considered the most energy-efficient processor out of the three. Its design allows for better power consumption and heat dissipation, making it a popular choice for laptops and other mobile devices. However, the Pentium 4 and Athlon XP have also made advancements in energy efficiency with newer models.

3. How do the processors compare in terms of overall performance?

The Pentium 4 has a higher clock speed and can handle more data at once, leading to better overall performance in tasks that require high speed and power. The Pentium M and Athlon XP have lower clock speeds but are more efficient, making them better for tasks that require longer periods of sustained performance, such as multitasking or running multiple programs at once.

4. Which processor is better for gaming?

The Pentium 4 is often favored for gaming due to its higher clock speed and ability to handle intense graphics. However, the Pentium M and Athlon XP can also handle gaming well, especially with newer models that have improved efficiency and performance.

5. How do these processors compare in terms of cost?

The cost of these processors can vary depending on the specific model and features. Generally, the Pentium 4 is more expensive due to its higher performance capabilities, while the Pentium M and Athlon XP are more budget-friendly options. However, newer models of all three processors may have similar price points due to advancements in technology and production processes.