Comparing Work on Two Carts with Constant Force

In summary, the same constant force is applied to two carts of the same mass on frictionless tracks, with one cart having twice the amount of time for the force to be applied. The work done by the force on the first cart is four times the work done on the second cart. This can be determined using the kinematic equation x = vot + 0.5at^2. Therefore, the correct statement is d, with WA = 4WB.
gijungkim

Homework Statement

The same constant force is used to accelerate two carts of the same mass, initially at rest, on horizontal frictionless tracks. The force is applied to cart A for twice as long a time as it is applied to cart B. The work the force does on A is WA; that on B is WB. Which statement is correct?

a.WA = WB.

b.WA = https://www.physicsforums.com/x-apple-ql-id://75E1D3CA-C6B4-441B-A5A4-36B84CE66FF0/x-apple-ql-magic/C3C64FB0-9E65-46A8-9150-27D9512B39A1.pdf WB.

c.WA = 2 WB.

d.WA = 4 WB.

e.WB = 2WA.

Homework Equations

W = F * d * cos(theta)
x= vot + 0.5 *a * t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is D, but I don't know where to start to get the answer d.
I thought since it has same mass and acceleration, twice of time will just make it twice of work.
Can anyone help me explaining this with equation??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh oh I think I got it. Is it because
x = Vot + 0.5at^2 and when I times 2 on t, the x will become 4x and it will eventually make 4 times more work right?

How do you figure that the answer is d? Where did you get that answer from?

Also those kinematic equations should have been posted in relevant equations if you are still using them in class. If you are doing kinematics, then use that equation.

Meesh said:
How do you figure that the answer is d? Where did you get that answer from?
Oh I was studying Energy part by myself and I downloaded a random one in the internet! They have questions with answers, but no solution so if I don't know how to solve it, I just have to ask here to get an advice.

Meesh said:
Also those kinematic equations should have been posted in relevant equations if you are still using them in class. If you are doing kinematics, then use that equation.
Haha yeah I'm not in kinematic right now and didn't know I was going to use that equation here. After thinking I kinda figured out I might able to use kinematic equation, but wasn't 100 percent sure if I could, so I wrote in reply. Sorry haha

Oh I understand. I think it is great that you are teaching yourself physics! I think the kinematic is your best bet in this case because it is the only way you can take velocity and acceleration into account. Good job. :)

Likes gijungkim
Meesh said:
Oh I understand. I think it is great that you are teaching yourself physics! I think the kinematic is your best bet in this case because it is the only way you can take velocity and acceleration into account. Good job. :)
Thank you! :)

Likes Meesh

Related to Comparing Work on Two Carts with Constant Force

1. How do the methods used in the work on A differ from those used in the work on B?

The methods used in the work on A and B may differ depending on the specific research question and objectives of the study. However, some common differences may include the type of data collected, the experimental design, and the statistical analysis used.

2. What are the key findings from the comparison of work on A and B?

The key findings from the comparison of work on A and B may vary depending on the specific topic or research question being examined. However, some common findings may include similarities and differences in the results, the strengths and limitations of each study, and potential implications for future research.

3. How do the conclusions drawn from the work on A and B differ?

The conclusions drawn from the work on A and B may differ depending on the specific research question and results of the study. However, some common differences may include the interpretation of the data, the significance of the findings, and the overall implications for the field of study.

4. What are the potential implications of comparing work on A and B?

Comparing work on A and B can have various implications, including identifying gaps in the current research, providing a more comprehensive understanding of a topic, and highlighting the strengths and limitations of different methods and approaches. It can also lead to new research questions and ideas for future studies.

5. What are the limitations of comparing work on A and B?

While comparing work on A and B can provide valuable insights, it is important to consider the limitations of such comparisons. These may include differences in the research designs, variations in data collection and analysis methods, and the potential for biased interpretations. It is essential to critically evaluate the similarities and differences between the two works to draw meaningful conclusions.