Comparison of thermal shock profiles

In summary, the two thermal shock test profiles have different rates of temperature change and dwell time.
mrajkumar
Could someone help me in comparing 2 different thermal shock test profiles effect on a component. The 2 profiles are varied in deg C /min change and also the dwell time in low and high tempwratures. Any references are highly appreciated. Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
mrajkumar said:
Could someone help me in comparing 2 different thermal shock test profiles effect on a component. The 2 profiles are varied in deg C /min change and also the dwell time in low and high tempwratures. Any references are highly appreciated. Thank you
Looks like the profiles did not Upload. Can you try again? Use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Edit window to upload PDF or JPEG images... :smile:

Also, is this for schoolwork?

I am trying to compare the thermal shock profiles to understand the severity of each and ways to compare them. This is required to choose a component for my required qualification limit. I've uploaded the profile herewith. Requesting a guidance.
Thermal shock2.jpg

Attachments

• Thermal shock2.jpg
    Thermal shock2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 519
I'm assuming the Temperature is in degrees C and the Time is in minutes? (It's best to always label your axes with units to avoid ambiguity) :smile:

The standard temperature stress profile that I'm familiar with (learned first at Hewlett Packard many years ago) is the STRIFE profile, which uses 10C/minute temperature ramps (hence liquid CO2 cooling is required for the ramps down), along with power cycling during the ramps and after soaking at the extremes of the profile. Using ramps faster than about 10C per minute can cause false failures, depending on how complex your electronics are, and going more slowly than 10C/minute doesn't really help you find all of the design and manufacturing issues that you would like to find in this kind of reliability testing.

The profile that we typically use on medium-size Industrial temperature range products is shown below. The vertical cross-hatched bars show where the power to the UUTs is turned off. We typically also add in some off times during some of the temperature ramps. Are the ramp rates for the faster profile you show in your figure close to 10C/minute?

LTS-20 STRIFE Profile.JPG

Attachments

• LTS-20 STRIFE Profile.JPG
    LTS-20 STRIFE Profile.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 385

1. What is thermal shock and why is it important in scientific research?

Thermal shock is the rapid and extreme change in temperature that a material or substance experiences. It is important in scientific research because it can affect the physical, mechanical, and chemical properties of materials, and understanding how materials respond to thermal shock is crucial in various industries such as aerospace, electronics, and construction.

2. How do scientists compare thermal shock profiles?

Scientists compare thermal shock profiles by subjecting different materials to sudden temperature changes and measuring their response to the shock. This can include changes in properties like strength, ductility, and thermal conductivity. Data from these experiments are then analyzed and compared to understand the effects of thermal shock on different materials.

3. What factors can influence thermal shock profiles?

Several factors can influence thermal shock profiles, including the rate of temperature change, the temperature difference between the hot and cold environments, and the material's composition and structure. Other factors like stress, surface condition, and environmental conditions can also play a role in determining the response of a material to thermal shock.

4. What are some common methods used to induce thermal shock in materials?

There are several common methods used to induce thermal shock in materials, including quenching, thermal cycling, and thermal fatigue. Quenching involves rapidly cooling a material from a high temperature to a low temperature, while thermal cycling exposes a material to repeated heating and cooling cycles. Thermal fatigue, on the other hand, involves subjecting a material to alternating high and low temperatures over an extended period of time.

5. How can understanding thermal shock profiles benefit different industries?

Understanding thermal shock profiles can benefit different industries in various ways. For example, in the aerospace industry, understanding how materials respond to thermal shock is crucial for designing safe and reliable aircraft that can withstand extreme temperature changes. In the electronics industry, knowledge of thermal shock profiles is essential for developing durable electronic devices that can function in different environments. In the construction industry, understanding thermal shock can help in selecting the right materials for building structures that can withstand temperature changes without compromising their integrity.