Compiling MATLAB Program for Mac & PC

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter EngageEngage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, MATLAB allows for the compilation of standalone applications that can be viewed without the use of MATLAB itself. This feature is available for both Macs and PCs, but requires the use of the MATLAB compiler, which is sold separately from the standard distribution of MATLAB. More information on how to use the compiler can be found by typing 'doc mcc' within MATLAB.
EngageEngage
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to compile a MATLAB program somehow to a format that doesn't require MATLAB to view. If possible is there a format compatible with Macs and PCs? Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Matlab allows you to compile standalone applications that contain functionality from Matlab but that do not require Matlab itself to run. Matlab's documentation on how to do this is well worth a read. Type 'doc mcc' from within Matlab to get started.

But you need the Matlab compilier and that is not included in the standard distribution, it is an extra "toolbox" although I don't think it is very expensive (compated to Matlab itself, that is).

1. How do I compile my MATLAB program to run on both Mac and PC?

In order to compile your MATLAB program for both Mac and PC, you will need to use the MATLAB Compiler. This allows you to package your program and its dependencies into a standalone executable file that can be run on any computer without the need for MATLAB to be installed.

2. Can I use the same code for both Mac and PC versions of my program?

Yes, as long as your code does not contain any platform-specific functions or dependencies. It is important to test your code on both platforms and make any necessary adjustments for compatibility.

3. What are the steps for compiling a MATLAB program on Mac and PC?

The steps for compiling a MATLAB program on Mac and PC are very similar. First, you will need to install the MATLAB Compiler on your computer. Then, you will need to open your MATLAB program in the MATLAB Compiler and follow the prompts to package it into an executable file. Finally, you can test the executable file on both Mac and PC to ensure it runs correctly.

4. Do I need to make any changes to my code before compiling for Mac and PC?

It is recommended to avoid using platform-specific functions or dependencies in your code if you want it to run on both Mac and PC. It is also a good idea to test your code on both platforms before compiling to ensure there are no compatibility issues.

5. Can I distribute my compiled MATLAB program to others?

Yes, once your program is compiled, you can distribute it to others who do not have MATLAB installed on their computer. They will be able to run your program as long as they have the appropriate operating system (Mac or PC) and any necessary dependencies included in the compiled file.