Completing the Square Practice Questions

• Thread starter valentines
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to learn about parabolas and vertexes. They don't know what a parabola is, but they know what a vertex is. They need to practise completing the square and quadratic equations.
valentines
http://img114.exs.cx/img114/3245/untitled10ff.jpg

see if any of you guys can solve a few of these.. if you guys can show me the steps so that i can study them for any of my future tests that would be great. :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
valentines said:
see if any of you guys can solve a few of these.. if you guys can show me the steps so that i can study them for any of my future tests that would be great. :eek:
16. Do you know what a parabola is?? Do you know what a vertex is?

17. Can you complete the square?

18. This is more of trial and error than a formula.

19. Pretend the 'more than or equal to' sign is an equal sign and then solve.

20. Can you use the quadratic equation or factorise?

If you know any of this I can start to help, if not I need to explain it. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
The Bob said:
16. Do you know what a parabola is?? Do you know what a vertex is?

17. Can you complete the square?

18. This is more of trial and error than a formula.

19. Pretend the 'more than or equal to' sign is an equal sign and then solve.

20. Can you use the quadratic equation or factorise?

If you know any of this I can start to help, if not I need to explain it. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

nope. i have no idea what I am doing.
:cry:

edit: actually, i know what a vertex is.

i don't know what a parabola is though :bugeye:

Last edited:
A parabola is what you get when you draw the function y = x2. Do you know what that looks like?

Lets say you have x2 - 6x + 10. Completing the square would make the equation like this: (x - 3)2 + 10 - 9 = (x - 3)2 + 1. All that has happened is the -6x has been halved and put in brackets and then the new number (-3) has been squared and taken away from the 10.

Try completing the sqaure of x2 - 10x + 30. Completing the sqaure is also needed for 19.

18. I would use the quadratic forumla : [tex]\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}[/tex] but I think it will want you to complete the square.

Question 20 can be factorise from 2x2 - 7x - 15 = 0 to (2x + 3)(x - 5) = 0 and then you have some values to use.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
I need to go sleep now but here are some completing the square question, for you, for practise and I am sure someone else will say if they are right or wrong for you:

y = x2 - 8x + 20
y = x2 - 4x + 7
y = x2 + 2x + 2
y = x2 + 4x + 2
y = x2 - 10x + 25

Good Luck and I will read what you have done tomorrow. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Related to Completing the Square Practice Questions

What are the common problems associated with "OH NO A few problems"?

Some common problems associated with "OH NO A few problems" may include errors in data collection, equipment malfunctions, or unexpected results.

How can these problems be addressed?

These problems can be addressed by carefully reviewing the data collection process, performing maintenance on equipment, and troubleshooting any issues that arise during experiments.

Are there any strategies for preventing these problems?

Yes, there are strategies for preventing these problems. These may include regularly calibrating equipment, double-checking data entries, and using controls in experiments.

What should be done if these problems occur during an experiment?

If these problems occur during an experiment, it is important to remain calm and assess the situation. It may be necessary to restart the experiment, troubleshoot any issues, or consult with colleagues for assistance.

How can these problems be communicated to others in the scientific community?

To communicate these problems to others in the scientific community, it is important to document the issues and their impact on the experiment's results. This information can be shared through publications, presentations, or discussions at conferences or meetings.