Complex analysis, construct analytic f given Re(f)

In summary, the author is trying to find a function f(x+iy) where v(x,y) is a real function, such that f is analytical in all of the complex plane. They are not sure how to proceed, but they feel confident that v has to have the same terms depending on the conjugate terms. They also mention that the purpose of the integral is not to use it but rather just to derive it.
usn7564

Homework Statement

[tex]u(x,y) = sin(x^2-y^2)cosh(2xy)[/tex]

Find a function f(x+iy) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where v(x,y) is a real function, such that f is analytical in all of the complex plane. Find all such f. The attempt at a solution
I expanded using Euler's for sin and cosh which gave me

[tex]u(x,y) = \frac{1}{4i} \Bigg( e^{i(x^2-y^2) +2xy} + e^{i(x^2-y^2)-2xy} - e^{-i(x^2-y^2)+2xy} - e^{-i(x^2-y^2)-2xy}\Bigg)[/tex]
Which I can simplify to
[tex]\frac{1}{4i}\Bigg(e^{i\bar{z}^2} - e^{-i\bar{z}^2} + e^{iz^2}-e^{-iz^2}\Bigg)[/tex]
I don't think the simplification will be necessary to solve it but it shows that u depends on the conjugate of z. This makes me assume v has to have the same terms depending on the conjugate terms, but negative to cancel them out (else f cannot be analytic).
And that's as far as I've come. Simply looking at u(x,y) makes me pretty sure I shouldn't solve it 'conventionally' using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, got to be some trick to it. Though I don't know how to proceed.

The answer should be
[tex]v(x,y) = sinh(2xy)cos(x^2-y^2) + C \implies f = sin(z^2) + iC[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't really need to expand in terms of exponentials. Just use the Riemann-Cauchy equations:
[tex]\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \dfrac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]
[tex]\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}= -\dfrac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

Here, [tex]\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial x}= 2xcos(x^2- y^2)cosh(2xy)+ 2y sin(x^2- y^2)sinh(2xy)[/tex]
and [tex]\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}= 2xcos(x^2- y^2)cosh(2xy)+ 2y sin(x^2- y^2)sinh(2xy)[/tex]

So you must have
[tex]\dfrac{\partial v}{\partial x}= 2xcos(x^2- y^2)cosh(2xy)+ 2y sin(x^2- y^2)sinh(2xy)[/tex]
[tex]\dfrac{\partial v}{\partial y= -2xcos(x^2- y^2)cosh(2xy)- 2y sin(x^2- y^2)sinh(2xy)[/tex]

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
You don't really need to expand in terms of exponentials. Just use the Riemann-Cauchy equations:

Oh no Hall. You have it wrong. He doesn't feel like muscling-through the Cauchy-Riemann equations. I mean aren't they all suppose to be easy-peasy?

[tex]v(x,y)=\int \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \partial y+\int\left\{-\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \partial y\right\}[/tex]

Think that's right. May want to check if you like stuff like that (not Hall, the OP I mean).

And I thought it was Dairy Queen.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
Oh no Hall. You have it wrong. He doesn't feel like muscling-through the Cauchy-Riemann equations. I mean aren't they all suppose to be easy-peasy?
It's a from a mini-exam that has several questions in 50 min, so yes, they are supposed to be relatively easy. There was another similar question that you could completely trivialize by looking at it for more than a second while solving it conventionally simply wasn't an option.

Maybe the integral doesn't take too long, will take another gander at it.

usn7564 said:
It's a from a mini-exam that has several questions in 50 min, so yes, they are supposed to be relatively easy. There was another similar question that you could completely trivialize by looking at it for more than a second while solving it conventionally simply wasn't an option.

Maybe the integral doesn't take too long, will take another gander at it.

No, the integral is tedious and messy to use in practice. My point was to emphasize that real-world problems are way more difficult to solve than textbook problems so best to get use to, and not be intimidated by tough problem-solving methods.

The integral is an instrument to test your knowledge about using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to solve your problem. Deriving the integral is I believe a clear indication of mastering that task. So the purpose of the integral is not to use it but rather just to derive it.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: use the C-R equations to solve your problem even if it takes you hours and forget about the mini-exam (my personal recommendation).

Last edited:

Related to Complex analysis, construct analytic f given Re(f)

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers, which are numbers that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the significance of the real part of a complex function in complex analysis?

The real part of a complex function, represented as Re(f), is an important aspect in complex analysis as it helps us understand the behavior of the function on the real number line. It also allows us to determine the symmetry of the function and its relationship with the imaginary part, Im(f).

3. How is a complex function constructed in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, a complex function is constructed by mapping a set of complex numbers (domain) to another set of complex numbers (range). This is usually done through a formula or algorithm that relates the input complex numbers to the output complex numbers.

4. What is the role of analytic functions in complex analysis?

Analytic functions are a special type of complex function that are differentiable at every point in their domain. They play a significant role in complex analysis as they have many useful properties, such as being infinitely differentiable, having a Taylor series expansion, and satisfying the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

5. How can complex analysis be applied in real-world problems?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving electric circuits, fluid flow, and signal processing, among others. It also has applications in the study of complex systems, such as weather patterns and financial markets.