1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis Graphing Question

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to show [tex]z_{1}[/tex]+([tex]z_{2}[/tex]+[tex]z_{3}[/tex])=([tex]z_{1}[/tex]+[tex]z_{2}[/tex])+[tex]z_{3}[/tex] with the use of a graph.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am just cluless on how to graph. I know z=x+iy where the real part is on the x axis and the imaginary part is on the y axis.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well, each complex number can be represented by a vector in the Argand Plane. You should know how to add vectors, if not its easy to learn and is probably in your textbook. Basically it's just a matter of adding two of the vectors first, then the last, and showing that lands you in the same place as adding another pair, then the last. Ie Order doesnt matter.
  4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    ok, I think I understand. So, I have z1 and z2 and show what happens when I add z3 to it?
  5. Jan 27, 2009 #4
    Each of them is a vector,

Did you draw z_1, then z_2 + z_3, now what happens when you add those 2 together?

Now what happens when you draw z_1 + z_2 and then add z_3 to it?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?