1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis: Inverse function is holomorphic

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is from Sarason, page 44, Exercise IV.14.1.

Let f be a univalent holomorphic function in the open connected set G, and let g be the inverse function.
    Assume that f(G) is open, that g is continuous, and that [tex]f\prime\neq 0\forall z\in G[/tex]. Prove g is holomorphic.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried 3 different methods, failing with each. I'd appreciate any insight into the problem.
    My professor recommended looking at the calculus proof of the derivative of an inverse, and the following:
    Start with [tex]w_{0}\in f(G)[/tex], and with h small, look at [tex]\frac{(g(w_{0}+h)-g(w_{0}))}{h}[/tex].

Because [tex]f(G)[/tex] is open, we know there is a [tex]\delta>0\ni \left|h\right|<\delta[/tex] gives us [tex]w_{0}+h\in f(G)[/tex].
    So with h that small, we have [tex]w_{0}+h=f(z)[/tex] for some [tex]z \in
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    You're off to a good start. I'd suggest also defining [itex]z_0\equiv f^{-1}(w_0)[/itex] and then using that along with the other defined variables to write out the definitions, in terms of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]s and [itex]\delta[/itex]s, of f being differentiable, and f' and g' being continuous.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook