Complex Analysis: Solutions on the Line Re(z)=1/2

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation (z-1)^23 = z^23 and shows that all solutions lie on the line Re(z)=1/2. The conversation also explores different approaches to solving the equation, including converting it to exponential notation and taking the 23rd root of both sides. Ultimately, it is determined that there are 22 solutions to the equation.
Brendy

Homework Statement

Consider the equation
(z-1)^23 = z^23

Show that all solutions lie on the line Re(z)=1/2
How many solutions are there

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Really have no idea. I figured polar form might be helpful somehow so I converted it and got
(r(cos (theta) + isin (theta)) - 1)^23 - r^23(cos (23*theta) + isin (23*theta))=0
I'm getting hung up on the first term. I'm not really sure what I can do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would probably be better to begin with to write the equation in exponential notation and notice that [itex]-1 = \exp\{i\pi\}[/itex].

Alright, I've got
(r23ei[itex]\theta[/itex]-ei[itex]\pi[/itex])23-r23e23i[itex]\theta[/itex]

I don't recall any way to combine the two exponents. Expanding those brackets are going to be a mess, I think, and probably unnecessary since I'm not trying to find the solutions exactly.

Last edited:
It would make more sense if you had an equal sign in there!

It would, wouldn't it! That equation should have an =0 at the end. My apologies.

How about you just muscle-through it with z's first:

[tex]\frac{z-1}{z}=1^{1/23}[/tex]

Brave huh?

[tex]z=\frac{1}{1-e^{2n\pi i/23}}[/tex]

Now, even though it's messy, can't you now convert everything to sines and cosines, rationalize the denominator, and just split-out the real part of that and hopefully, it'll be 1/2?

Hope that's not too much help guys.

Thanks, jackmell. I didn't think of doing that. Once I did, the rest of the problem proved to be simple.

jackmell could you explain that step just a bit more?

did you just rearrange so that we had unity on the right side of the equation, and then take the 23rd root of all the values?

not quite sure how you got to the next step either?
maybe brandy can explain?

man I'm bad at complex analysis!

That's exactly what he did. It's a nice way to eliminate that annoying exponent that I didn't think of until I saw him do it.

The next part is just rearranging what he had to get it in the form z=

It isn't an easy subject. Unfortunately, the prerequisite subject for complex analysis at my uni didn't cover the assumed knowledge so I've got a bit of catching up to do.

Just thought a bit more on that solution... Isn't it undefined everywhere since e2in[itex]\pi[/itex]=1 and therefore the denominator is 0?

Ok, lemme' see if I can get out of this jam . . .

We started with [tex](z-1)^{23}=z^{23}[/tex]

Ok, if you expanded that out, you'd get not a 23rd degree polynomial but a 22 degree polynomial right since you'd remove z^23. Ok, so that's 22 solutions.

Now, during the algebra, we got to:

[tex]1-1^{23}=1/z[/tex]

Usually, we then just take the reciprocal but actually we're dividing by 1-1^23 in one step then multiplying by z in the next. When we divide by 1-1^23, we're assuming that's not zero. And 1-1^23 is zero only when the argument is zero right? Because:

[tex]1^{23}=e^{i/23(\theta+2n\pi)}[/tex]

and only one of those roots is one and that's when theta=0. So there we go, that's 22.

Ah, thanks guys. I confused myself with the exponential for a bit.

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the application of calculus to complex numbers and understanding the properties of complex functions.

What are some common problems in complex analysis?

Some common problems in complex analysis include finding the roots of complex polynomials, calculating complex integrals, and solving differential equations with complex coefficients.

What are some techniques used in solving complex analysis problems?

Some of the techniques used in solving complex analysis problems include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, residue theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These techniques involve the use of complex numbers, calculus, and geometry.

How is complex analysis used in other fields of science?

Complex analysis has applications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and analyze systems involving complex variables, such as electrical circuits, fluid flow, and financial markets.

What are some real-world examples of complex analysis problems?

Some real-world examples of complex analysis problems include calculating the lift and drag forces on an airplane wing, determining the flow of blood through a network of blood vessels, and analyzing the behavior of financial markets using complex-valued functions.