1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis Properties Question

1. Jun 16, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Use properties to show that:
    (question is in the attached picture)

Now, it is my understanding that due to properties you can express (sqrt(5)-i) as the sqrt((sqrt(5))^2+(-1)^2) which equals sqrt(6).
    And (2zbar+5) can be represented as (2z+5).

But this would be sqrt(6)*(2z+5) which is NOT sqrt(3)*(2z+5)

Was there a typo in this problem? Or am I not thinking of something?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are some absolute value signs missing, but yes, I think there is a typo.

4. Jun 16, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Excellent. After performing the operations, I felt like I had a good understanding of it. This seems to confirm my suspicions :). Kind regards for your help tonight.

5. Jun 17, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you wrote here is very far from true. The real number ##\sqrt{6}## obviously can't be equal to ##\sqrt{5}-i##, which isn't even real. But Dick said something about missing absolute value signs, so I suppose you could be talking about something like this: For all ##z,w\in\mathbb C##, if ##\operatorname{Re}\bar z w=0##, then ##|z+w|^2=|z|^2+|w|^2##. This implies that ##|\sqrt{5}-i|^2=|\sqrt{5}|^2+|-i|^2=5+1=6##, and this implies that ##\sqrt{6}=|\sqrt{5}-i|##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted