Complex Analysis Q&A - Singularities, Integration and More

In summary: So the arc length of the unit circle in the complex plane is 2pi. In summary, a singularity of a complex function is a point where the function fails to be analytic, but it is not always where the numerator is zero. When finding the arc length of a curve in the complex plane, it is necessary to specify a path z(t) that is parameterized by t. The arc length can be found by taking the integral of the absolute value of dz. In the case of the unit circle, the arc length is equal to 2pi.
Niles
Hi all.

I have some questions on complex analysis. They are very fundemental.

1) Singularities of a complex functions are the points, where the functions fails to be analytic. Will a singularity then always be a point, where the numerator of the functions is zero?

2) This question is on integration in the complex plane. If have a function f(z), then I have to specify the curve C (parametrized by z(t)), on which I wish to integrate f(z) along. If I just want to find the length of the curve, then which of the following integrals are correct?

[tex]
\int dz \quad \quad \text{or}\quad \quad \int z(t) dz.
[/tex]

I hope you can help. I would very much appreciate it.Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it would me more appropriate if this question was in the "Calculus and beyond"-homework forum. Would a moderator be kind enough to move the thread over there?

are you looking at this stuff because of the born scattering section in griffiths? lol

you are correct that a singularity of a function is a point where the function fails to be analytic but you are incorrect in saying that it's where the numerator is zero. for a rational function the singularities are where the denominator is zero. for other function it isn't necessarily so. for example [itex]y^2=x[/itex] has a singularity at (0,0) because the slope is infinite there. |x| also has a singularity at (0,0).

for a line integral in complex space you need to specify a path z(t) where t is the parameter hence the path z is parameterized somehow by t.

in the integral it looks like this:

[tex] \int f(z)dz =\int f(z(t))\frac{dz}{dt}dt = \int f(z(t))z'(t)dt[/tex]

you can think of dz as a line element and hence the arc length is just

[tex] \int dz =\int z'(t)dt [/tex]

edit

actually that's wrong

since the line integral over complex space is the integral over a sort of vector field the definition i wrote down is correct. finding the arc length though corresponds to a line integral over a scalar field hence to find the arc length it should look like this:

[tex] \int |dz| =\int |z'(t)|dt =\int \sqrt{z'(t)*z'(t)^*}dt = \int \sqrt{u'(x(t),y(t))^2+v'(x(t),y(t))^2}dt[/tex]

where the star in the exponent of the second z'(t) in the middle exression is complex conjugation.

Last edited:
1) I actually meant the denominator (the lower part of the fraction), but I got the two terms mixed up.

2) So if I want to find the arc length of the unit circle, then it is given by:

[tex]
\int_0^{2\pi} (\cos t + i\sin t)(-\sin t + i\cos t)dt ?
[/tex]

Thanks.

Niles said:
1) I actually meant the denominator (the lower part of the fraction), but I got the two terms mixed up.

2) So if I want to find the arc length of the unit circle, then it is given by:

[tex]
\int_0^{2\pi} (\cos t + i\sin t)(-\sin t + i\cos t)dt ?
[/tex]

Thanks.

if the parameterization you're using is [itex]z(t)=\cos(t)+i\sin(t)[/itex] then

[tex] z'(t) = -\sin(t)+i\cos(t) [/tex]
[tex] z'(t)*= -\sint(t)-i\cos(t) [/tex]
[tex] z'(t)*z'(t)= \sin^2(t) +i\cos(t)\sin(t)-i\sin(t)\cos(t)+\cos^2(t) =\sin^2(t) +cos^2(t)[/tex]
[tex] |dz| =\sqrt{z'(t)*z'(t)}dt =\sqrt{\sin^2(t) +\cos^2(t)}dt = dt[/tex]

Related to Complex Analysis Q&A - Singularities, Integration and More

1. What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is important because it allows us to understand and analyze complex phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are singularities in complex analysis?

Singularities are points in the complex plane where a function is not defined or behaves in an unusual way. They can be classified as removable, poles, or essential, depending on the behavior of the function near the singularity.

3. How is integration different in complex analysis compared to real analysis?

In complex analysis, integration is done along a path in the complex plane rather than a line segment in the real plane. This allows for the integration of functions that are not defined on the real line, and also leads to new concepts such as the Cauchy integral theorem and Cauchy integral formula.

4. What is the relationship between complex analysis and conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping is a technique in complex analysis that preserves angles between curves. It is useful in transforming complicated regions in the complex plane into simpler ones, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. This relationship is due to the fact that analytic functions (functions that can be represented by a power series) are conformal.

5. How is complex analysis used in real-world applications?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it is used in electrical engineering to analyze alternating currents, in fluid dynamics to study complex flow patterns, and in economics to model financial markets. It is also used in the development of computer graphics and image processing algorithms.