Complex: Defining Sqr(-1) in Main Branch of logz

In summary: Basically, I am not sure how one would go about defining sqr(-1) without first defining (or finding a branch for) log (z). In summary, I am not sure how to define sqr(-1) when working with the Main Branch Logz of logz.
Bacle
Complex: Defining Sqr(-1) using Main Branch Logz
Posted: Jul 3, 2011 12:46 PM Plain Text Reply

Hi, All:

I am having trouble understanding how/if sqr(-1) can be defined when we use the standard branch Logz of logz:

As far as I know, we define the complex exponential z^b , in a region R, for z,b both complex, we first define (if possible), a branch of logz in R, after which we _define_:

z^b:=e^(b.logz)

Right?

So, say we want to define a log in the plane using the branch Logz of logz, i.e, the branch given by removing [0,oo), where the points in the real axis have argument 0.

But, once we removed [0,oo), how can we define Sqr(-1), given that Logz is not defined there, and Sqr is defined in terms of Logz by:

z^(1/2):= e^(Logz/2)? (##)

And then removing one half of the remaining plane to avoid z^(1/2) being a multi-function.

Still: Logz is not defined on the negative real axis, where -1 is, so how can we then define (-1)^(-1/2) using (##) above? Or is the existence of a log sufficient but not necessary for defining a square root?

Physics news on Phys.org
Feldoh: I am not sure I get your point:

The log cannot be defined globally on the whole of C, and I don't know
how one would define it if we were to work on a Riemann surface. Of course, we
can find a branch for which log is defined on the negative real axis, but then we must
cut-off another part of the plane to be able to define a branch. It all comes from the
fact that e^z is many-to-one ; actually oo->1 , so that it does not have a global
inverse ( on C-{0} ), but instead it only has local inverses when we define it in
a strip (t,t+2Pi), where it is 1-1.

1. What is the main branch of logz?

The main branch of logz is the principal branch of the complex logarithm function, also known as the principal value. It is the branch that is used to define the square root of negative numbers, including sqr(-1).

2. How is sqr(-1) defined in the main branch of logz?

In the main branch of logz, sqr(-1) is defined as the complex number i, which is the square root of -1. This is also known as the imaginary unit and is often denoted as √-1 or j.

3. What is the importance of defining sqr(-1) in the main branch of logz?

Defining sqr(-1) in the main branch of logz is important because it allows us to extend the real number system to include complex numbers, which have many applications in mathematics, science, and engineering. It also helps us to solve equations and perform calculations that involve negative numbers under a square root.

4. How is the main branch of logz different from other branches?

The main branch of logz is different from other branches of the complex logarithm function because it is defined in a specific way to ensure that it is continuous and single-valued. Other branches may have different definitions and may produce different values for the same input.

5. Can the main branch of logz be used to define other complex numbers?

Yes, the main branch of logz can be used to define other complex numbers, including sqr(-n) where n is any positive real number. It can also be used to define other complex functions, such as the exponential function and the trigonometric functions.