1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex equation

1. Jan 2, 2013 #1
    Hi, I need a little help :smile:

I need to find solution for this equations:

[itex]\frac{Z-a}{Z-b}[/itex]=K[itex]e^{±jθ}[/itex]

The Z is unknown and it is the complex number. The a and b is known and they are also complex numbers. K is the real number.

I know that for [itex]-90^{°}[/itex]<θ<[itex]90^{°}[/itex] the graph in the complex plane is circle, for [itex]-45^{°}[/itex]<θ<[itex]45^{°}[/itex] the graph in the complex plane is in shape of "tomato" and for [itex]-135^{°}[/itex]<θ<[itex]135^{°}[/itex] is shape of "lens", but I don't know how to solve it.

Sorry if my post is in wrong area.

Thanks for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2013 #2
    Leaving it to you the conditions of existence:

[itex]Z=\frac{a-b.K.\textrm{e}^{ \pm j \theta }}{1-K.\textrm{e}^{ \pm j \theta }}[/itex]

4. Jan 2, 2013 #3
    In that way I got only the one solution, where are the other?
    For example, let's put b=0, K=1, theta=45°, with above formula we got only the one solution, but there is more than one solution...

5. Jan 12, 2013 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

How do you only get one solution when there's clearly a [itex]\pm[/itex] in his answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook