What is the formula for complex exponentiation with an irrational exponent?

• Thread starter Twinbee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses complex exponentiation and the use of atan2 in the formula. It also mentions the multivalued nature of the result when the exponent is irrational and why some calculators only give one answer. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the DFT definition and the difference between rational and irrational powers in producing multiple solutions.
Twinbee
Mathworld seems to be the only place which explicitly defines complex exponentiation. I'll be even more explicit than Wolfram and write out the full formula (I'm guessing there's no shorter way for the general case):

(a+bi)^(c+di) =

(a2+b2)^(c/2) * e^(-d*atan2(b,a)) * cos(c*atan2(b,a)+0.5*d*ln(a2+b2) )
+
(a2+b2)^(c/2) * e^(-d*atan2(b,a)) * sin (c*atan2(b,a)+0.5*d*ln(a2+b2) ) i

My question is this:
Wikipedia says that the result for complex exponentiation is multivalued when the exponent is irrational - in other words, there's more than one possible solution. How would I change the above formula to produce the other solution/s?

If anyone could give the other answers to say (2.2+3.3i)^(4.4+5.5i) to clarify the answer to the above, then that would be a great example too. Or are there an infinite number of possible answers?

Finally, if complex exponentiation is supposed to give multiple answers when the exponent is irrational, then why do certain calculator applets on the internet that deal with complex arithmetic only give one answer?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Um, normally one defines x^y as exp{y log x} which is multivalued as log is multivalued. This is a lot more compact than your answer, though I don't dispute it.

What does atan2(b,a) mean? That might well be multivalued as everything else there is single valued.

I don't know why you want such a complicated example, and I will do i^i instead.

i^i=exp{i log i}

so we need to know what log(i) is.

i=exp{i pi/2 +2npi} for any integer n, so log{i} = {i pi/2 +2npi}

hence i^i = exp{-pi/2 -2npi}

where n is an integer. Normally, one takes a canonical choice of argument, i.e. Arg(i)=pi/2, so we usually define

i^i=exp{-pi/2}.

Last edited:
Um, normally one defines x^y as exp{y log x} which is multivalued as log is multivalued. This is a lot more compact than your answer, though I don't dispute it.
At its lowest level (separating the complex and real parts), I'm guessing that would be no less convoluted than mine, as one would then need to calculate the logarithm of the complex numbers etc.

Atan2 is a very useful function often used in computer science to automatically sort out the quadrant business as well as 'degenerate' cases such as atan(1/0) which would throw up an error. It's really handy - be nice for it to be a standard everywhere really.

That might well be multivalued as everything else there is single valued.
I doubt atan or atan2 is. I think it would be the ln() part that's multivalued if anything...

I don't know why you want such a complicated example, and I will do i^i instead.
The example I gave had the exponent as non-integer. According to Wikipedia, this means that there should be multiple (possibly infinite) solutions, (or maybe that only applies only to irrational numbers, rather than merely non-integer ones?). Because of that, I'm still confused why certain calculator applets on the internet that deal with complex arithmetic only give one answer...

Last edited:
Right, so I'm going to guess that Atan means inverse tan. Tan is periodic, hence its inverse is a multivalued 'function', but you can pick a principal branch. Which is exactly what you have done.

Your ln in the context above is not the mutlivalued bit - its argument is a positive real number - so it is just the ordinary logarithm.The reason why (online) calculators give a single answer for complex exponentiation is exactly because your Atan function chooses a single value, and the genuine multivaluedness comes from the fact that actually there are infinitely many choices for it.

Aha, thank you - it's all starting to piece together now! Am I right in saying then that the DFT definition for example (which uses a complex exponent) would use this "principal branch" thing? (I'm sure the exponent term in that DFT formula can be reduced regardless).

Just one more question now (as long as there's a relatively simple answer - don't worry otherwise):
Why does the exponent have to be irrational to produce the multivalue thing? It makes sense to me that if it was merely non-integer (e.g. 2.35), or even just integer, that the multivalue thing would come into play.

Last edited:
No - that is no a principal branch or anything - exp is a power series and is unique.

Taking rational powers i.e. 1/n results in n possible answers, not infinitely many - that is the difference.

Okay, many thanks for your help again! If you have Paypal, I'd be happy to donate a little if you like.

1. What is complex exponentiation?

Complex exponentiation is the process of raising a complex number to another complex number. It is similar to regular exponentiation, where a number is raised to a power, but in complex exponentiation, both the base and the exponent can be complex numbers.

2. How is complex exponentiation calculated?

To calculate complex exponentiation, we can use the formula: zw = ewln(z), where z is the complex base, w is the complex exponent, and e is the mathematical constant, approximately equal to 2.71828. This formula can also be expressed in polar form as zw = ewr(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude of z and θ is the angle of z in the complex plane.

3. What are the properties of complex exponentiation?

Complex exponentiation has properties that are similar to regular exponentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. Additionally, complex exponentiation has the property of periodicity, where zw is periodic with a period of 2πi. This means that if we add or subtract 2πi from the exponent, the result will be the same. Furthermore, complex exponentiation also follows the laws of logarithms, such as the power rule and product rule.

4. What are the applications of complex exponentiation?

Complex exponentiation has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve differential equations, calculate the Fourier transform, and analyze electrical circuits. In physics, complex exponentiation is used to describe the behavior of oscillating systems, such as waves and quantum particles. It is also used in signal processing and control systems.

5. Are there any limitations to complex exponentiation?

One limitation of complex exponentiation is that it does not always have a unique solution. This is because a complex number can have multiple logarithms, leading to multiple possible values for zw. Additionally, complex exponentiation is not defined for all complex numbers, as it can produce complex or imaginary results. Lastly, complex exponentiation can be difficult to visualize and interpret, as it involves operations in the complex plane.