Complex Exponents: QM Basics & Physical Importance

In summary: The exponential helps to distribute the energy more equally between the two eigenstates, preventing one from becoming overwhelmingly dominant and causing the particle to "stick" in one particular state.[/quote]In summary, the complex exponent is of critical importance when we have a mixed state, the normalized sum of two or more terms that you described above but having different frequencies.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I just started learning QM and have a question - let's say that i have the following amplitude for a particle:
a*e^(-i*frequency*t)
since the exponent doesn't change the probability, what is it's physical importance? from what i understood the frequency coorsponds to the energy - since energy is the tendency of the particle to stay in it's current state, a higher frequency would make the particle have more influence in the case of interference with another particle. so basically the exponent only has significance when it interacts with another particle?

And one more thing, does the amplitude of the state change with time only when it's multiplied by a real exponent?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The state you describe is called a stationary state, or alternatively a pure state of, or even better an eigen state of, the Hamiltonian operator.

Given an arbitrary wave function, it is not likely to be an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian for the configuration. But the eigenstates do form a basis in which we can express our arbitrary wave function as a linear combination of eigenstates of various (complex exponent) frequencies.

Then the short answer is, the complex exponent is of critical importance when we have a mixed state, the normalized sum of two or more terms that you described above but having different frequencies.

I just started learning QM and have a question - let's say that i have the following amplitude for a particle:
a*e^(-i*frequency*t)

The term you cite is normally appended on the stationary wave function term that we get from a time independent Schrödinger equ. From this eq. the allowed frequencies are determined and the (normalized) wave functions of it give the physical information.

daniel_i_l said:
a*e^(-i*frequency*t) since the exponent doesn't change the probability, what is it's physical importance?

It's to define the momentum of the particle if that measurement were to be made.

I'm sure they covered the "Heisenburg uncertainty principle". It's a restriction on how small you can make the product of the uncertainty in position and momentum. The absolute value of the wave function defines the probability distribution for a position measurement, but it says nothing about the momentum probability distribution.

When you calculate the momentum probability distribution you will find that the imaginary stuff becomes important.

daniel_i_l said:
Consider a specific example which you'll probably encounter soon if you haven't already, the one-dimensional "particle in a box," in which the particle is completely confined to a region [itex]0 \le x \le L[/itex]. The energy eigenstate with lowest energy is described by

[tex]\Psi_1 (x,t) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left( {\frac{\pi x}{L}} \right) e^{-i E_1 t / \hbar}[/tex]

where [itex]E_1 = \pi^2 \hbar^2 / 2mL^2[/itex].

The energy eigenstate with second lowest energy is

[tex]\Psi_2 (x,t) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left( {\frac{2 \pi x}{L}} \right) e^{-i E_2 t / \hbar}[/tex]

where [itex]E_2 = 4 \pi^2 \hbar^2 / 2mL^2[/itex].

If the particle is in either one of these states, then the probability distribution [itex]\Psi^* \Psi[/itex] doesn't change with time. If the particle is in a superposition of these states, for example

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \Psi_1(x,t) + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \Psi_2(x,t)[/tex]

in which it has equal probability of having either energy, then the probability distribution [itex]\Psi^* \Psi[/itex] does change with time. It oscillates or "sloshes" back and forth inside the box, with frequency [itex]\omega = (E_2 - E_1) / \hbar[/itex].

So as far as the probability distribution is concerned, the complex exponential comes into play physically when two energy eigenstates interfere with each other.

Last edited:

What are complex exponents?

Complex exponents are mathematical expressions of the form a^b, where a and b are complex numbers. They are used to represent quantities in quantum mechanics and have both a real and imaginary component.

What is the significance of complex exponents in quantum mechanics?

Complex exponents are used to represent the wave function in quantum mechanics, which describes the probability amplitude of a particle's position or momentum. They are also used in the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time.

How are complex exponents related to physical quantities in quantum mechanics?

The absolute value of a complex exponent represents the magnitude of a physical quantity, while the argument or phase represents the direction or orientation of the quantity. In quantum mechanics, these physical quantities can include position, momentum, and energy.

What are some common applications of complex exponents in physics?

Complex exponents are used in a wide range of applications in physics, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. They are also commonly used in differential equations and Fourier analysis.

What are some common misconceptions about complex exponents?

One common misconception is that complex exponents are only used in theoretical physics and have no practical applications. However, they are used in many real-world applications, such as in electronics and signal processing. Another misconception is that complex exponents are only used in advanced mathematical calculations, but they can also be visualized and understood intuitively using the polar form of a complex number.