Complex form of Fourier series

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of coefficients for the complex form of Fourier series. The formula for the Fourier coefficients is given and it is suggested to use the identity e^-inx=cos(nx)-isin(nx) if familiar with computing Fourier series using sine and cosine. The individual also asks for resources on the proof of derivation of complex Fourier series.
roshan2004
Though I can compute the coefficients of Trigonometric form of Fourier series, how can I compute the coefficients of complex form of Fourier series.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean on the form e^ix? Or am I on the wrong track here?

If my assumption is correct you want to write your function on the form
[tex]f(x) = \sum_{-\infty}^{\infty}c_ke^{inx}[/tex]

If so, the Fourier coefficents are given by

[tex]c_k = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(x)e^{-inx}[/tex]

Since you know how to compute Fourier series using sine and cosine, just use the identity:
e-inx=cos(nx)-isin(nx).

Have you guys got any links where there is proof of derivation of complex Fourier series?

1. What is a complex form of Fourier series?

A complex form of Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. It is used to decompose a periodic signal into its constituent frequencies.

2. How is a complex form of Fourier series different from a real form?

The complex form of Fourier series includes both real and imaginary terms, while the real form only includes real terms. The complex form is often more convenient for mathematical calculations, while the real form is more intuitive for understanding the frequency components of a signal.

3. What is the Euler's formula and how is it used in the complex form of Fourier series?

Euler's formula states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit. This formula is used to represent complex exponential functions in the complex form of Fourier series. It allows for the simplification of calculations involving complex numbers.

4. How is a complex form of Fourier series used in signal processing?

A complex form of Fourier series is used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. It allows for the identification and removal of specific frequency components in a signal, as well as the reconstruction of a signal from its frequency components.

5. What are the applications of the complex form of Fourier series?

The complex form of Fourier series has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in signal processing, image and sound compression, solving differential equations, and analyzing periodic phenomena in nature and science.