Complex Integral I just can't figure out

In summary, the conversation revolved around a difficult integral problem that the speaker had been working on for 2 1/2 hours. They had tried a substitution method and ended up with a complex expression involving residues. However, their final answer did not match the answer they got on their calculator. Upon further inspection, the speaker realized they had made a mistake in their substitution, causing the discrepancy in their answer. They expressed frustration with making careless mistakes and asked for advice on how to avoid them in the future.
~Death~
hi, this is really frustrating because I've been working on this one integral for the last 2 1/2 horus and i can't figure out what I did wrong...

it's the Integral sin^2(x)/(3-2cos(x)) dx from x=0 to x=2pi

I tried the substitution z=e^(itheta) plugging in sin and cos as functions of z and I

ultimately get:

i * integral (z^4+2z^2+1)/(z^2-3z+1)dz over |z|=1

Then the poles inside the unit circle are @ z=0 and (3-sqrt(5))/2

so I find the residue @ z=0 to be 3 and @ (3-sqrt5)/2 something like

(looking in my mess of notes) 4(15-6sqrt(5))^2/((3-sqrt(5)^2(-sqrt(5))

then I plug in 2pi X Sum residues X i

but it doesn't agree with the answer I get on my calculator which is around 1.19

any help is really appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry to anyone who was trying to figure it out...i solved it

turns out i substitutes 1/2(z+1/z) for sine instead of 1/(2i)(z-1/z)

I make the stupidest mistakes ever and it costs me. anyone know how i can

avoid these =(

Related to Complex Integral I just can't figure out

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an extension of a regular integral to the complex plane. It involves calculating the area under a curve in the complex plane, rather than just the real plane.

How is a complex integral different from a regular integral?

A complex integral involves integrating over a complex path, rather than just a real interval. It also takes into account the imaginary part of the function being integrated, which can lead to different results than a regular integral.

What are the applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the study of complex functions, contour integration, and solving differential equations. They also have applications in signal processing, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

What are some common techniques for solving complex integrals?

Some common techniques for solving complex integrals include using Cauchy's integral theorem, the residue theorem, and contour integration. Other techniques include using partial fractions, substitution, and integration by parts.

What are some tips for tackling a complex integral?

Some tips for tackling a complex integral include understanding the properties of complex numbers, making use of symmetry, and carefully choosing the contour of integration. It is also important to check for singularities and use appropriate techniques for each type of singularity.