Complex Number Inequalities: Sketching Solutions

In summary, gneill and lavabug's solution for z = a + b*i is that z is a complex number and that the modulus is |x + yi| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}.
nayfie
Hey guys,

Just having a bit of trouble with inequalities.

Homework Statement

Sketch all complex numbers 'z' which satisfy the given condition:

[tex]|z + i + 1| \leq |z - i|[/tex]

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]z + i + 1\leq z - i[/tex]

[tex]z + 2i + 1\leq z[/tex]

[tex]2i + 1\leq 0[/tex]

[tex]i\leq\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to be able to solve for z.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
z is a complex number. So write it as z = a + b*i, where i is the square root of negative one. Put that into your inequality and see what happens. There will be some necessary relationship between a and b that satisfies the inequality.

Tried it myself, you sub z for x + iy as gneill said, regroup terms again in x + iy form and calculate the modulus on both sides, terms will cancel. I got the relationship: y <= -1/2 -x.

Looks like all numbers underneath and including the line y = -x -1/2 if I'm not mistaken?

Edit: One of the recommended threads: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=298041 Same problem basically.

Last edited:
Firstly, thanks for your contribution gneill and Lavabug.

I have put together what you two have written and have come to an answer, which I'll add here in case somebody has a similar problem.

[tex]|z + i + 1|\leq |z - i|[/tex]
[tex]|x + yi + i + 1|\leq |x + yi - i|[/tex]
[tex]|x - x + yi - yi + i + 1|\leq |-i|[/tex]
[tex]x + x + yi + yi + i + 1\leq i[/tex]
[tex]2x + 2yi + 1\leq 0[/tex]
[tex]2x + 2yi\leq -1[/tex]
[tex]x + yi\leq\frac{-1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]z\leq\frac{-1}{2}[/tex]

As far as I can tell that solution is correct. Feel free to correct me if it's not.

For an imaginary number x + yi, the modulus (or magnitude) is
[tex] |x + y i| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} [/tex]
Note also that |i| = |-i| = 1

Note that you can't just bring variables or constants out the modulus on one side of the equation and put them into the modulus on the other. So your third line doesn't make sense (and if you performed the obvious operations inside the modulus you'd see that the x's and yi's would cancel, leaving |i + 1| <= |-i|, which is clearly false.

You should replace z with x + yi as you've done, but expand the modulus on either side. Square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts for each.

Hi nayfie! :smile:

I see you were only asked to sketch the result of the inequality.

Perhaps it would be useful to realize that complex numbers behave mostly like points in the X-Y-plane.
The absolute value of a complex number is defined as the distance to the origin in the X-Y-plane.

The solution to your inequality are those points in the X-Y-plane that are closer to 1 specific point than another specific point.

That reduces your problem to determining which points those are.

Cheers! :smile:

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. They can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i representing the square root of -1.

2. What is an inequality involving complex numbers?

An inequality involving complex numbers is a mathematical statement that compares two complex numbers using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. For example, z1 + z2 > z3, where z1, z2, and z3 are complex numbers.

3. How do I solve complex number inequalities?

To solve a complex number inequality, you can use the same methods as solving regular algebraic inequalities. First, rearrange the equation to have all the complex numbers on one side and the real numbers on the other side. Then, use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable, and finally, graph the solution on the complex plane.

4. Can complex number inequalities have multiple solutions?

Yes, complex number inequalities can have multiple solutions. This is because the complex plane is two-dimensional, so there can be more than one point that satisfies the inequality. These solutions can be represented as regions on the complex plane.

5. What is the significance of solving complex number inequalities?

Solving complex number inequalities is important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as engineering, physics, and economics. It allows us to understand and analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as signal processing and control systems.