Complex number question (i think )

In summary, the conversation discusses solving equations in C and provides hints and guidance for solving the given examples. The first equation is factorized into (z+1)(z+2) and the second equation involves finding the complex solutions to the equation. It is advised to have a good understanding of the easier questions before attempting the more difficult ones.
Svensken
Complex number question (i think :) )

Homework Statement

Solve the following equations in C :

(a) z^2 + 3z + 2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought i should solve the quadratic for z, (z+1)(z+2)=0
and then somehow say that:

1=x+iy

I don't really understand how to go about it, and they want it solved in C. Any hints wil be greatly appreciated!

p.s

This question is a few exercises down, and i know i don't know how to tackle it, it confuses me pretty bad having the conjugate there aswell:

z^2 + 2z + 1 = 0 (where the second z is the conjugate)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

So you've factorized the quadratic into (z+1)(z+2). So what are the zeroes of the quadratic then? You've basically solved the question, and even though no complex numbers arised, it is still in C. The solutions are of the form x+0i.

The second question with the conjugate is more difficult. There are actually 4 complex solutions to that equation.
You better get a good grip of the easier questions before tackling those ones or you'll just confuse yourself.

FAQ: Complex number question (i think )

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (2 + 3i) + (4 + 5i) would be (2+4) + (3i + 5i) = 6 + 8i.

3. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like with binomials. For example, (2 + 3i)(4 + 5i) would be (2)(4) + (2)(5i) + (3i)(4) + (3i)(5i) = 8 + 10i + 12i + 15i² = 8 + 22i - 15 = -7 + 22i. To divide complex numbers, you use the conjugate of the denominator to simplify the expression.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be represented on a coordinate plane, where the real part is the x-coordinate and the imaginary part is the y-coordinate. This allows for a geometric interpretation, where the real axis represents the horizontal axis and the imaginary axis represents the vertical axis. The absolute value of a complex number represents its distance from the origin, and the argument represents the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the number to the origin.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving alternating currents in electrical circuits, as well as in analyzing the behavior of vibrations and waves. They are also used in computer graphics and signal processing.