Complex numbers: Find the Geometric image

In summary: From this, you can see that the -2 and +2 are the foci of the hyperbola. You can also determine the distance between a point on the hyperbola and the foci by the difference of the distances from the point to the foci. See if any of this helps.In summary, in the first problem, the geometric image is a hyperbola with foci at -2 and 2 and a distance between a point on the hyperbola and the foci given by the difference of the distances from the point to the foci. In the second problem, the geometric image is a region in the complex plane where the real component of the complex number is between 0 and
HMPARTICLE

Homework Statement

Find the Geometric image of;

1. ## | z - 2 | - | z + 2| < 2; ##
2. ## 0 < Re(iz) < 1 ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In both cases i really am struggling to begin these questions, complex numbers are not my best field.

There are problems before this one like ## | z - 1 + 2i | >3 ## which is the exterior of a circle with center (1,-2) with radius 3.

I know that Re(z) is a function that gives the real component of complex number.

Just a push into the light please.

Physics news on Phys.org
HMPARTICLE said:

Homework Statement

Find the Geometric image of;

1. ## | z - 2 | - | z + 2| < 2; ##
2. ## 0 < Re(iz) < 1 ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In both cases i really am struggling to begin these questions, complex numbers are not my best field.

There are problems before this one like ## | z - 1 + 2i | >3 ## which is the exterior of a circle with center (1,-2) with radius 3.

I know that Re(z) is a function that gives the real component of complex number.

Just a push into the light please.

For 1) you might think about conic sections.

2) shouldn't be hard. Why not set z = x + iy? And see what comes out.

for the second one i get {(x,y) in R such that -1 < y < 0 }, according to the solutions, that is correct.

the first one, I am still stuck on.
When you say conic sections, I am thinking hyperbola.
standard form of hyperbola is;

## \frac{x^2}{a^2} - \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 ##
ignoring the advice, i tried to square both sides of the inequality. i get## (|z−2|−|z+2|)^2<4 ##
## | z-2|^2 - 2|z-2||z+2| + |z+2|^2 < 4 ##

do i continue in this fashion?

i get to this

##2(x^2 - y^2) + 8 - 2|z-2||z+2| < 4 ##

I could subtract 8 from both sides.
But then if i square both sides again I'm going to be left with something similar to |z-2||z+2| which i don't think i can do anything with.

I told you I'm TERRIBLE with the complex realm! haha

What is the solution of (1) on the real number line? Identify the point(s) where it is an equality not an inequality.

Then perhaps exploring the region of the complex plane nearby will give some clues.

Notice that -3 < 2 but 9 > 4, so your squaring may not have the results you want.

when z is -1 then the left hand side is equal to 2. still i am in the dark.

I'm sorry guys! really not seeing this one.

1. What are complex numbers and how are they represented?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part, typically written as a+bi. The real part is represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part is represented on the y-axis, with the imaginary unit i equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you find the geometric image of a complex number?

To find the geometric image of a complex number, plot the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. This will give you a point on the complex plane, which is the geometric image of the complex number.

3. What is the significance of the geometric image of a complex number?

The geometric image of a complex number represents its position in the complex plane and can be used to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of complex numbers.

4. Can a complex number have a negative imaginary part?

Yes, a complex number can have a negative imaginary part. This means that the point on the complex plane would be located in the bottom half of the plane, below the x-axis.

5. How do you plot a complex number that is in polar form?

To plot a complex number in polar form, use the modulus (r) as the distance from the origin and the argument (θ) as the angle from the positive real axis. This will give you a point on the polar coordinate system, which can then be converted to rectangular coordinates to plot on the complex plane.