Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    The advanced topics in complex nos are really boring and make no sense.
    Is there any way I can make them interesting like any software or book which would make it easier and enjoyable?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What, specifically, do you mean by the "advanced topics"?

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3
    Topics like conformal mappings,residue theorem,series,integrations and the numerous results derived from them.I don't understand what use they are going to be of.

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4
    If the ability to integrate seemingly unintegrable real integrands doesn't entice you, try Visual Complex Analysis by Needham for a more geometric approach.

6. Apr 10, 2005 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Apr 10, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't understand why conformal mappings are important then yo'ure missing something very very fundamental.

Suppose that we wish to model the velocity of a fluid travelling through a long pipe (ie "infinitely" long) with a simple set of boundary conditions. Easy, right? Now suppose that we wished to do it through a pipe that wasn't smooth, but had bumps, kinks, bends in it. The conformal mapping theorem allows us to translate a solution of the easy version to one for the hard one. (the equations governing the fow transform smoothly).

8. Apr 11, 2005 #7
    Thanks you all!After reading your replies I feel my approach to learning complex analysys was flawed.Can softwares like mathematica,mathcad,maple,matlab or others help me understand this course better?
    Unfortunately Visual Complex Analysis by Needham isn't available in my country.

9. Apr 11, 2005 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you dont' need computers, you need to read the books.

10. Apr 11, 2005 #9
  11. Apr 11, 2005 #10
    The "low-priced" edition is still on a high side for me.
    Thanks for helping!

12. Apr 13, 2005 #11

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?