1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Partway Functions

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    What I mean by a partway function is this:
    ff(x)=6x now as you probably know that f(x)=√6(x) or you could argue f(x)=-√6(x), with that function that you have just found being the partway function between x and f(x)=6x-Do you understand?
    But what about more complex partway functions like ff(x)=sin(x) so what is f(x)= to?, which is the same as saying what is the partway function between x and sin(x).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. Please provide a definition for this term - partway function.

4. Nov 12, 2012 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

If I understand correctly, you are asking, if

$$f(f(x)) = \sin x,$$
    then what is ##f(x)##?

This particular equation has been studied, but I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the function or the wikipedia article.

Edit: Ah! Here's the wikipedia article I was thinking of:

Schroder's equation

In particular, it discusses the "functional square root", a function such that ##h_{1/2}(h_{1/2}(x)) = h(x)##, which is relevant to the question of ##f(f(x)) = \sin x##.

5. Nov 12, 2012 #4
    I would avoid using ff(x) to represent (f(x))^2 since it looks like the composite f(f(x)).

Also, I'm a bit confused about what you mean by complex (complex numbers or complicated).

That is, for y^2=6x, x>=0 if x is real or all x if we're using complex numbers.

In the case of y^2=sin(x), assuming we're working with real numbers, sin(x)>=0 so x€U(n)[2nπ,(2n+1)π] for n€Z.
    So, y=+-√sin(x) for the same x in that set. (These are two distinct functions.)

If we work with complex functions, then y=+-√sin(x) for all complex numbers x.

Is this what you're looking for?

6. Nov 13, 2012 #5
    You are on the right lines but your link doesn't include any information on that specific equation.

7. Nov 13, 2012 #6

Mute

Homework Helper

Yes, it doesn't discuss f(f(x)) = sin x in particular, but rather a more general problem. If you can solve the functional equation ##\Psi(\sin x) = s \Psi(x)## for ##\Psi(x)## (which you may not be able to do analytically), then the "half" sine function would be given by ##h_{1/2}(x) = \Psi^{-1}(s^{1/2} \Psi(x))##, such that ##h_{1/2}(h_{1/2}(x)) = \sin x##. By searching some papers about solving Schroder's equation perhaps you can find one which discusses the case of sin x.

8. Nov 13, 2012 #7
    If you click on the link, "functional square root", you would find that rin(rin(x))=sin(x) where rin(x) is the function you supposedly wanted.

@dalek, in you first post where you said ff(x)=6x, and you also said f(x)=√6(x) which could mean either √(6x) or (√6)x. This was not clear as (f(x))^2 = 6x, and f(f(x))= 6x for the corresponding choice of f(x), respectively.

9. Nov 13, 2012 #8
    Can you go through the notation because I don't understand it and is there a calculator on the internet for them, with degrees and radians?One of the reasons, I have asked this is that I have discovered some nice theorems to approximate such functions where x is in degrees,sin[2]x=sin sin x, sin[0.5]x roughly=(xsinx)^0.5, sin[0.25]roughly=x*(sinx/x)^0.25, sinx roughly=x*(sinx/x)^i - you should be able to see a nice pattern going on there.

10. Nov 13, 2012 #9
    Is there a rin(x) calculator on the internet?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook