Complex Physics Problem Need Help Please

In summary, the student swings a mass on a string in a horizontal circle. The mass is 1.0 Kg, it starts from rest, the string is 2.0m, the acceleration rate is 2.0 rad/s2, and this is done for 5.0 seconds. At 5.0s the string breaks and the mass becomes a projectile. It is released 2.0m above the ground. The final velocity (magnitude and direction) of the mass as it reaches the level of the ground is determined.
Phillipc

Homework Statement

A student begins swinging a mass on a string in a horizontal circle. The mass is 1.0 Kg, it starts from rest, the string is 2.0m, the acceleration rate is 2.0 rad/s2, and this is done for 5.0 seconds. Derirmine the final tangential speed of the mass, the angular displacement in revolutions, and the tension force in the string at 5.0s

At 5.0s the string breaks and the mass becomes a projectile. It is released 2.0m above the ground. Determine the final velocity (magnitude and direction) of the mass as it reaches the level of the ground.

Where the projectile reaches the level of the ground there is another identical mass (1.0 Kg) at the top of an inclined plane whose angle is the same as the final angle of the projectile found in part 2 the collision between the masses is inelastic. Determine the final velocity of the 2 masses after the collision.

The masses now slide down the inclined plane to the bottom. The coefficient of friction between the masses and the plane is .05, the length of the incline is 2.0m. Determine the work done by friction while sliding, the initial kinetic energy at the top and the final kinetic energy at the bottom. Determine the net force and acceleration down the incline using the components of weight and the force of friction. Now determine the final velocity using kinematics and verify the final kinetic energy at the bottom.

The masses now begin sliding across a horizontal frictionless surface. They then collide and stick to a spring which is fixed to a wall and begin to oscillate. The value of the spring constant is .1 N/m. determine the amplitude and the angular frequency of the oscillations.

Homework Equations

2Pi R
V=-------
T

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to be completely honest I have been out of school because of family matters and i don't know where to begin with this problem, any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank You

Phillip M Carreno

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need some formulas for angular motion.
For steady motion, you have good old d = vt in linear motion and its corresponding formula for angular motion would be [tex]\theta = \omega t [/tex]
Of course that doesn't apply to this problem because this motion is accelerating.
d = vit + .5at^2 in circular motion would be [tex]\theta = \omega t + .5 \alpha t^2 [/tex]
where omega is the initial angular velocity and alpha is the angular acceleration.
Corresponding to v = vi + at, you would have [tex]\omega = \omega i + \alpha t [/tex]

Use those formulas to find the final angle and angular velocity.
Translate to linear distance and velocity with [tex]d = r\theta [/tex] and [tex]v = r\omega [/tex]
(that is supposed to be an "r" for radius in the formula, not a greek tau)

See if you can do the first part with all that!

What a lengthy problem - looks like someone is putting you through an obstacle course!

Delphi51 said:
You need some formulas for angular motion.
For steady motion, you have good old d = vt in linear motion and its corresponding formula for angular motion would be [tex]\theta = \omega t [/tex]
Of course that doesn't apply to this problem because this motion is accelerating.
d = vit + .5at^2 in circular motion would be [tex]\theta = \omega t + .5 \alpha t^2 [/tex]
where omega is the initial angular velocity and alpha is the angular acceleration.
Corresponding to v = vi + at, you would have [tex]\omega = \omega i + \alpha t [/tex]

Use those formulas to find the final angle and angular velocity.
Translate to linear distance and velocity with [tex]d = r\theta [/tex] and [tex]v = r\omega [/tex]
(that is supposed to be an "r" for radius in the formula, not a greek tau)

See if you can do the first part with all that!

What a lengthy problem - looks like someone is putting you through an obstacle course!

Yah tell me about it! ok so I've worked it out and i have some answers, if you could perhaps review them i would be forever in your Debt!

Attachments

• Picture 067.jpg
    Picture 067.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 341
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 394
  • Picture 069.jpg
    Picture 069.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 378

1. What is a complex physics problem?

A complex physics problem is a problem that involves multiple concepts and equations from various branches of physics. These problems require a deep understanding of the principles of physics and the ability to apply them to solve a given scenario.

2. Why do I need help with a complex physics problem?

Complex physics problems can be challenging and require a strong understanding of the subject. It is common to seek help when facing such problems to ensure accuracy and understanding.

3. How should I approach a complex physics problem?

It is essential to first understand the problem and identify the relevant concepts and equations. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and solve them step by step. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.

4. What resources can I use to get help with a complex physics problem?

There are many resources available for help with complex physics problems. Some options include asking a teacher or fellow student, using online forums or tutoring services, and consulting textbooks or study guides.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving complex physics problems?

The best way to improve is to practice regularly. Keep challenging yourself with different problems and seek help when needed. Also, make sure to review your mistakes and learn from them. Additionally, understanding the fundamental principles of physics and their applications can also aid in solving complex problems.