Complex probability in QM system?

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum system described by a basis and an initial state, and calculates the probability of measuring the system to be in a specific state. There is some confusion about the calculation, but it is resolved by taking the absolute value before squaring.
Bacat

Homework Statement

Consider a quantum system described by a basis [tex]\mid 1 \rangle[/tex] and [tex]\mid 2 \rangle[/tex].

The system is initially in the state: [tex]\psi_i = \frac{i}{\sqrt3} \mid 1 \rangle + \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \mid 2 \rangle[/tex].

(a) Find the probability that the initial system is measured to be in the state: [tex]\psi_f = \frac{1 + i}{\sqrt 3} \mid 1 \rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \mid 2 \rangle[/tex]

Homework Equations

The basis is assumed to be orthonormal, hence [tex]\langle 1 \mid 1 \rangle = \langle 2 \mid 2 \rangle = 1[/tex]

Probability is calculated as [tex](\langle \psi_f \mid \psi_i \rangle)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculating this, I get a complex answer. I'm not sure but I think a probability (a real observable) should be a real number. Is that right?

The answer I get is [tex]\frac{2 + 2\sqrt{2}}{9}(1+i)[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried to normalize the two states and found that they are both unit-normal already...

This is confusing.

Bacat said:
Probability is calculated as [tex](\langle \psi_f \mid \psi_i \rangle)^2[/tex]

Surely you mean:

[tex]\frac{\langle \psi_i \vert \psi_f \rangle \langle \psi_f \vert \psi_i \rangle}{\langle \psi_i \vert \psi_i \rangle \langle \psi_f \vert \psi_f \rangle}=\vert\langle \psi_i \vert \psi_f \rangle \vert^2[/tex]

(for normalized [itex]\psi_i[/itex] and [itex]\psi_f[/itex])...right?:wink:

Thanks for the response ggh.

Since my states are normalized, the denominator drops to 1. The numerator seems correct. I think you are right that I missed the absolute value signs.

After a quick calculation, I see that's where I screwed up. I get a real answer if I take the absolute value before squaring.

Thanks!

1. What is complex probability in a quantum mechanical system?

Complex probability in a quantum mechanical system refers to the use of complex numbers to describe the probability of a quantum state. Unlike classical probability, where probabilities are represented by real numbers between 0 and 1, quantum probability uses complex numbers to account for the interference of quantum states.

2. How is complex probability different from classical probability?

Complex probability differs from classical probability in that it accounts for the interference of quantum states. In classical probability, probabilities are represented by real numbers between 0 and 1, while in complex probability, they are represented by complex numbers that can have both a real and imaginary component.

3. What is the significance of complex probability in quantum mechanics?

The use of complex probability in quantum mechanics allows for a more accurate description of quantum states and their behavior. It allows for the prediction of outcomes that cannot be explained by classical probability and is essential in understanding phenomena such as quantum tunneling and entanglement.

4. How is complex probability calculated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, complex probability is calculated using the wave function, which is a complex-valued function that describes the quantum state of a system. The square of the wave function gives the probability of finding the system in a particular state. The complex probability is then obtained by taking the product of the wave function and its complex conjugate.

5. Can complex probability be observed in experiments?

While complex probability itself cannot be directly observed, its effects can be observed in experiments. For example, interference patterns in the double-slit experiment demonstrate the interference of quantum states, which is a result of complex probability. Other experiments, such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment, also rely on complex probability to explain their outcomes.