1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex resistor problem

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Five resistors with resistance R1 = 4.90 Ω, R2 = 7.30 Ω, R3 = 8.80 Ω, R4 = 2.70 Ω, R5 = 5.00 Ω, are connected to a battery with emf E = 8 V in the circuit shown. What is the current in resistor R1?
    I also need the current through all other resistors. I know you need to use the loop rule and solve for each unknown but I can't seem to get any of them. I don't know if I'm doing my math wrong or what but it is getting very frustrating.
    The red arrows are the current arrows I am trying to work with

2. Relevant equations
    1)I1=I5+I2=0
    2)I4=I3+I5=0
    3)V-I1R1-I2R2=0
    4)V-I3R3-I4R4=0
    5)V-I1R1-I5R5-I4R4=0
    6)V-I3R3+I5R5-I2R2=0
    7)I3R3-I1R1-I5R5=0
    8)I5R5-I2R2+I3R3=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried solving for each but I get lost in the rearranging
    Any help would be awsome....or maybe some easier way to go about it?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. You need to show us your work before we can help you. Show us the loop equations that you have been working with and having problems. We cannot help you (per the PF Rules link at the top of the page) unless you show us some work.

Also, I generally prefer to use the KCL node equations instead of the KVL loop equations. Maybe try it both ways to see if you like one way better.

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    We were not shown the KCL node equations

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook