What is the Net Resistance in this Complex Resistor Problem?

In summary, The conversation discusses a complex resistor problem where the Kirchhoff voltage and current rules can be used to solve it. The key to solving the problem is finding symmetry in the circuit and simplifying it by reducing series and parallel combinations. The nodes are treated as parallel circuits and wires are drawn to identify equivalent nodes. The conversation concludes with the confirmation of the solution and the asker expressing gratitude for the help received.
Fisherlam
Hey there! I'm having some real trouble deciphering this complex resistor problem. I have heard of the Kirchhoff voltage and current rules and do know how to use them to solve some problems but I'm not sure how to apply them in this context, or if they are even used to solve this. As seen the the diagram, each block is a resistor with resistance of r, and I'm tasked to find out the net resistance across A and B, the answer given by the book is 2r. I would really appreciate some help in understanding how to solve them and perhaps a universal way to tackle such problems.

THANKS A LOT!

Attachments

• IMAG1589_1.jpg
    IMAG1589_1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
Look for obvious series resistors and look for symmetry. If there is symmetry, often two points that do not otherwise seem related can be considered as joined because they are at the same voltage whether joined or not. This can lead to some simplifications.

EDIT: yeah, symmetry is the trick in this one. Once you joint symmetrical nodes, things just start falling out in series and parallel in rather obvious ways.

Last edited:
Hmm, thanks for some interesting ideas. In the uploaded picture, I have highlighted the nodes, with same colour nodes have same voltage. I looked up online and found that we can treat the nodes as a parallel circuit, as in the cube resistor problem, and as you mentioned. So we can surely divide the diagram into two along the blue nodes, the red nodes can be represented as a parallel circuit with two branches, each branch with one resistor. However, I am not too sure about what to do after the red nodes, that is the green nodes and the unmarked one. Can I ignore the unmarked node, which i assume to have a different voltage as compared to the green ons, and assume that there are four parallel branches, each with 2r resistance, pouring into the blue middle nodes? In that case, I have ((1/+1/)^-1)+(1/2+1/2+1/2+1/2)^-1)*2 = 2, which coincidentally is also the ans? IS that right? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMAG1589_1.jpg
    IMAG1589_1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 463
The green nodes should be red and the unmarked nodes have to be treated as part of the circuit after all the red nodes are used for simplification.

Um I'm sorry but why are the green nodes red?

For exactly the same reason the red nodes are red. Same voltage because of symmetry (that is the ones directly up/down from each other)

Okay I see but I'm lost how do I continue?

Fisherlam said:
Okay I see but I'm lost how do I continue?
Draw wires between equivalent nodes (up/down pairs) and then reduce series / parallel combinations.

What do you mean by draw wires?

Fisherlam said:
What do you mean by draw wires?
I can't think of any other way to say something that simple. Draw wires.

You mean this?

Attachments

• IMAG1591.jpg
    IMAG1591.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 446
FIRST, I'd suggest just drawing wires on the original circuit. I'm not going to try to figure out if your new diagram is exactly that but it looks like the right idea at least.

then?

Have already done that, i just need confirmation and I am more than sure you have the capability to understand the diagrams I drew and verify.

Fisherlam said:
Have already done that, i just need confirmation and I am more than sure you have the capability to understand the diagrams I drew and verify.
Show the wires on the original diagram and label the resistors (R1, R2, etc) and I'll give you another hint.

i think it's alright, i get the rough idea. Nice receiving your help, and thanks, anyways just curious, which university did you graduate from? :)

Fisherlam said:
i think it's alright, i get the rough idea. Nice receiving your help, and thanks, anyways just curious, which university did you graduate from? :)
Ga. Tech, 1968

1. What is the purpose of using complex resistors in a circuit?

Complex resistors are used in circuits to regulate the flow of current and voltage. They offer greater precision and control compared to simple resistors, making them ideal for more complex electronic systems.

2. How are complex resistors different from simple resistors?

Complex resistors have additional components such as capacitors and inductors, whereas simple resistors only have a single resistor element. This allows complex resistors to have more advanced functions, such as filtering and impedance matching.

3. What are the common types of complex resistors?

The most common types of complex resistors are RC (resistor-capacitor) and RL (resistor-inductor) circuits. These combine the properties of resistors with those of capacitors and inductors to achieve specific circuit functions.

4. How do you calculate the impedance of a complex resistor?

The impedance of a complex resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that impedance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. However, for RC and RL circuits, the impedance is determined by both the resistance and the reactance (capacitive or inductive), so the calculation becomes more complex.

5. What are some common applications of complex resistors?

Complex resistors are commonly used in audio and video equipment, power supplies, and communication systems. They are also important in electronic filters, oscillators, and amplifiers, and are essential for managing signal flow and voltage levels in complex circuits.