Finding Complex Roots of z^8=81i

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the complex roots of z^8 = 81i using the equation z^8 = r^8 (cos 8x) and the notation cis x = cos x + i sin x. The solution involves finding the angle x and solving for z using the equation r = (81)^(1/8). The conversation also addresses the misconception that one of the solutions must be 1, clarifying that 81i is not equal to 1.
msimard8

Homework Statement

find all complex roots of z^8=81i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let the angle=x

z^8=r^8(cis8x)

we know

81i=81 (cis pi/2)

threfore

z^8=81(cos pi/2 + i sin (pi/2) )

8x= pi/2 + 2kpi
x = pi/16 + kpi/4 kEz

therefore

if k=1 z=sqrt3 (cis pi/16)

i go through this solutiosn...and should end up getting a result angle of pi/2 in one of them..becuse on of the roots is 1...so there i must be wrong..help

Physics news on Phys.org
Why must one of the solutions be 1? 81i is not equal to 1.

Why do you think you can write z^8 = r^8 (cos 8x) (at least I assume that by cis you mean cos :smile:)?
You can certainly write it as r^8 e^{8 i x} for some angle x. Also, 81i can be written in such a way (you wrote it as 81(cos pi/2 + i sin pi/2) but I might as well write it as 81 e^(i pi/2)). Now r = (81)^(1/8). What equation(s) do you get for the angle x?

Last edited:
cis (x) is a notation engineers have adapted, an acronym for cos x + i sin x, which is equal to e^(ix).

Ah, I see. Strange people, those engineers :smile:
Anyway, your answer looks correct (at least, the one you gave, so I assume you have found the other 7 as well). Why did you think 1 was a solution?

FAQ: Finding Complex Roots of z^8=81i

1. What is the equation for finding complex roots of z^8=81i?

The equation for finding complex roots of z^8=81i is z^8=81i. This equation can also be written as z^8-81i=0.

2. How many complex roots does z^8=81i have?

Since this equation is of the form z^n=c, where n is an even number, it has n distinct complex roots. Therefore, z^8=81i has 8 complex roots.

3. How do you solve z^8=81i?

To solve z^8=81i, we can use the fact that z^n=c can be rewritten as z=c^(1/n). In this case, z=81i^(1/8). To find the complex roots, we can use De Moivre's Theorem and solve for the roots using the polar form of complex numbers.

4. Can complex roots be imaginary?

Yes, complex roots can be imaginary. In fact, imaginary numbers are a subset of complex numbers, which are typically represented as a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

5. Are there any other methods for finding complex roots of equations?

Yes, there are other methods for finding complex roots of equations, such as using the quadratic formula or factoring techniques. However, these methods may not be applicable to all equations and may not always yield complex roots.