Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complicated Definite Double Integral

1. Jan 16, 2011 #1
    I've been working on a problem involving a large meteoroid passing over the Earth and what its gravitational effects would be on the Earth's mantle. I developed an equation for this, and I've worked it down to a certain point, but unfortunately, I'm not sure how to finally solve it. By the way, I downloaded a free trial version of Mathematica, but it doesn't seem to be able to solve the problem, either.

The equation is as follows:

Math Eq.jpg

(I'm new here, so I didn't know the best way to input an equation.)
    Any help that could be provided would be very much appreciated.

- Brandon

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2011 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

The "r" part of the integral is doable. I get
    [tex]P=\int_{0}^{\pi}2\rho Gmdr^{2}a\sin{a}\dot ( \ln{\sqrt{r^{2}+d^{2}-\cos{a}} +r} -\frac{r}{\sqrt{r^{2}+d^{2}-\cos{a}}})da\left|^{r=6.275*10^6}_{r=6.175*10^6}[/tex]

Integrating the "a" part seems like it should be a nightmare, though. You could do a substitution u=-cos(a) if it wasn't for that a sitting outside. It's probably not expressible in elementary functions. Could you just evaluate it numerically?

4. Jan 16, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Starting with the a integral,

[tex]\int \frac{a \sin a\, da}{(b^2 - \cos a)^{3/2}}[/tex]

is an elliptic function of the 3rd kind according to http://integrals.wolfram.com.

My knowledge of elliptic functions doesn't extend to knowing if your definite integral equals something nice, but at least that's a start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?