Complicated Interpolation (Multivalued)

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of interpolating a data set of classical trajectories that maps out a periodic function. The problem is that most interpolation routines require the data to be in a specific order, which is not the case for this data set. Suggestions are made to switch the y and x values, but this may not provide the necessary x values for interpolation. The idea of fitting the data to a polynomial is also proposed, but it may not work for more complex data sets.
ZombieKitty
Hi,

I'm trying to interpolate a data set of classical trajectories, but I'm having trouble because the data is basically a multivalued function. The data maps out a periodic function: for every x value, there are about 7 y values.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to approach this? Most of the interpolation routines I'm trying to implement require that x1< x2< xn.. which isn't the case since it's periodic.

Also, I can think of a few tricks to get around it for the simplest case, which basically looks sinusoidal but flipped vertically.. but some of the other data sets are much more complicated (though still periodic).

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you switch y and x?

The problem with that is that I need to interpolate at very specific x values. If I were to switch x and y, I'd now be feeding my routine a particular y value and it'd be returning the corresponding x... but this is not necessarily at the x value I need. Does that make sense?

I'm now thinking that if I can fit the data to a particular polynomial.. I can easily find any values I need, granted that it's possible to find a well-fitting function. I'm confident this will work for some of the simpler data sets, but not so sure with the more complicated data.

Related to Complicated Interpolation (Multivalued)

What is complicated interpolation?

Complicated interpolation, also known as multivalued interpolation, is a mathematical method used to estimate unknown values between a set of known data points. It is a type of function approximation that can handle multiple data points at once, making it useful for complex data sets.

What are the applications of complicated interpolation?

Complicated interpolation is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to analyze and predict complex data. It can be used to model physical phenomena, create computer graphics, and solve optimization problems.

How does complicated interpolation differ from simple interpolation?

Simple interpolation involves estimating values between two known data points using a straight line or curve. Complicated interpolation, on the other hand, can handle multiple data points at once and uses more complex mathematical techniques to create a smooth and accurate estimate.

What are the limitations of complicated interpolation?

One limitation of complicated interpolation is that it can only provide estimates within the range of known data points. It also requires a significant amount of computational power and may not be suitable for large data sets. Additionally, complicated interpolation may not be accurate for highly irregular or noisy data.

How can the accuracy of complicated interpolation be improved?

The accuracy of complicated interpolation can be improved by using higher order interpolation methods, such as cubic splines, instead of linear or quadratic interpolation. It is also important to carefully choose the data points and ensure they adequately represent the underlying data. Additionally, incorporating additional data or using smoothing techniques can also improve the accuracy of the interpolation.