Integrating Complicated Vector Integral using the Residue Theorem

In summary, the author is considering how to tackle an angular integration, but struggles to find a method that works.
MadMax
How would you tackle this?

[tex]\int \frac{db^3}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{2K^4 - a^2 b^2 + (a \cdot b)^2}{2K^2 b^2 + b^4 + b^2a^2 / 2 - (a \cdot b)^2 + A}[/tex]

The way I tried was expressing the whole thing in spherical polar coords, setting a_z parallel to b, and then carrying out the angular parts of the integration. Unfortunately this involved quite a few partial fractions... This in turn led to complicated logs popping up all over the place. Also there were some obvious singularities which came out, (which would be canceled out by singularities hidden in the log terms). Then would come the scary task of integrating that mess over the non angular dimension... In a word "yuck"...

Can't help thinking that I'm missing a trick, or that there is a better way to tackle it.

EDIT: Hmmm I've just had an idea. I'll try to tackle the angular integral not as a standard integral, but instead using contour integration... I'll keep you posted.

Still any ideas/hints/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm nevermind...

Last edited:
numerator and denominator might have some common facton if you go into binomial expressions

can't get it though...

OK I think I found a method in some textbooks by which it can be done: "The residue theorem".

An example relevant for the angular part of the integration I'm considering is

[tex]\int^{2 \pi} _{0} F(\cos{\theta}, \sin{\theta}) d \theta[/tex]

We use the subtitution

[tex]z=e^{i \theta}[/tex]

But why does the integral become a contour integral, where the contour is the unit circle centred around the origin?

Presumably if we were integrating from 0 to pi, the contour would be a cemi-circle? But which plane would we use? Upper or lower, or is it right hand or left hand? Also why is it of unit radius? Why would it be incorrect to have the radius of the contour larger or smaller?

FAQ: Integrating Complicated Vector Integral using the Residue Theorem

1. What is a complicated vector integral?

A complicated vector integral is an integral that involves a vector function or vector-valued function. It is a mathematical expression used to find the area or volume under a curve in a multi-dimensional space.

2. How is a complicated vector integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves a scalar function, while a complicated vector integral involves a vector function. This means that the integrand (the function being integrated) and the limits of integration are both vectors in a complicated vector integral, while they are scalars in a regular integral.

3. What is the purpose of a complicated vector integral?

A complicated vector integral is used to calculate the area, volume, or other quantities in multi-dimensional spaces. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving vector quantities.

4. What are some common techniques for evaluating complicated vector integrals?

Some common techniques for evaluating complicated vector integrals include the use of vector calculus, substitution, and integration by parts. Other techniques such as Green's theorem, Stokes' theorem, and the divergence theorem may also be used depending on the specific integral being evaluated.

5. Can complicated vector integrals have complex-valued solutions?

Yes, complicated vector integrals can have complex-valued solutions. This is because vector functions can have complex-valued components, and the result of a complicated vector integral will depend on the vector function being integrated. However, in most cases, complicated vector integrals will have real-valued solutions.

Back