Stress Calculation for a Reinforced Timber Tie with Aluminium Bar

• Thread starter anthonyk2013
  • Start date
In summary, an aluminium bar is attached to a wooden tie by an adhesive. The tie is then subjected to a 300KN axial load. The area of the aluminium is 3.14*25^2/4=491mm^2. The area of the timber is 15*GN/m^2. The strain in the timber is equal to the stress in the aluminium, σ1=σ2. The total force on the tie is equal to the sum of the individual forces, F=σ1*E1+σ2*E2.
anthonyk2013
Have to give this question ago for Monday, Wondering if I am on the right track.

A rectangular timber tie, 180mm by 80mm, is reinforced by a bar of aluminium of 25mm diameter. calculate the stress in the timber and reinforcement when the tie carries an axial load of 300KN
E of timber=15GN/m^2
E of aluminium=90GN/m^2

Area of timber=180*80=14400-3.14*25^2/4=13909mm^2

Area of aluminium=3.14*25^2/4=491mm^2

Next step is to find strain I think ε of timber=ε of aluminium

ε=δ/E so δ/E of timber=δ/E of aluminium, use this to find stress?

Could anyone teel me if I am on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is true that the strains must be equal. But stresses need not have to. The equation you ended up with contains two different stresses. While this might be what you had in mind, it is not obvious from what you wrote. So this is an equation with two unknowns. You need another equation, which can be obtained by considering that the timber and the bar must support the applied load.

voko said:
It is true that the strains must be equal. But stresses need not have to. The equation you ended up with contains two different stresses. While this might be what you had in mind, it is not obvious from what you wrote. So this is an equation with two unknowns. You need another equation, which can be obtained by considering that the timber and the bar must support the applied load.

Yes I have two unknowns both stresses. I have E of both materials, not sure what equation I need next.

anthonyk2013 said:
Have to give this question ago for Monday, Wondering if I am on the right track.

A rectangular timber tie, 180mm by 80mm, is reinforced by a bar of aluminium of 25mm diameter. calculate the stress in the timber and reinforcement when the tie carries an axial load of 300KN
E of timber=15GN/m^2
E of aluminium=90GN/m^2

ε=δ/E so δ/E of timber=δ/E of aluminium, use this to find stress?

ε=δ/E? This equation in incorrect. The strain is not equal to the displacement divided by E. The strain is equal to the stress divided by E. So use this to determine the stress in each of the two materials in terms of ε. From that you can get the force in terms of ε.

Chet

Sorry chester your 100% right. I mixed the displacement symbol and stress symbol up. That should read strain=stress/E

Sorry about that. Will correct as soon as I can get on my laptop.

I have corrected the stress symbols sorry if I confused anyone. any help would be appreciated.

E of timber=15GN/m^2
E of aluminium=90GN/m^2

ε=σ/E so σ/E of timber=σ/E of aluminium, use this to find stress?

Yes. You're on the right track. Now determine the stresses in terms of ε and the forces in terms of ε. The total force is equal to the sum of the individual forces.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. You're on the right track. Now determine the stresses in terms of ε and the forces in terms of ε. The total force is equal to the sum of the individual forces.

This is where I am puzzled. I need to determine the stress in term of ε, ε=ΔL/L I don't have ΔL/L so I need to find another way of finding ε from what I have been given?

Only one I can think of is ε1=-vε2 but don't have ant of the strains.

Last edited:
anthonyk2013 said:
This is where I am puzzled. I need to determine the stress in term of ε, ε=ΔL/L I don't have ΔL/L so I need to find another way of finding ε from what I have been given?

Only one I can think of is ε1=-vε2 but don't have ant of the strains.
You don't need to know L or ΔL. You are going to be solving for ε. That's your unknown.

Chestermiller said:
You don't need to know L or ΔL. You are going to be solving for ε. That's your unknown.

Let 1 be aluminium
let 2 be timber

To solve for ε- σ1/E1=σ2/E2→σ1=σ2*E1/E2

σ1=σ2*90/15→σ1=σ2*6

σ1=σ2*6 use this to solve loads?

anthonyk2013 said:
Let 1 be aluminium
let 2 be timber

To solve for ε- σ1/E1=σ2/E2→σ1=σ2*E1/E2

σ1=σ2*90/15→σ1=σ2*6

σ1=σ2*6 use this to solve loads?
Sure. This is fine also. Try it both ways to see which appeals to you more.

Chestermiller said:
Sure. This is fine also. Try it both ways to see which appeals to you more.

what would the other way be?

σ1=6*σ2

F=300KN

F=σ1*A1+σ2*A2

F=6*σ2*491+13909

F=(6*491*13909)σ2

F=16855σ2

300=16855σ2 → σ2=300/16855=.0177KN

σ2=.0177KN?M^2

σ1=6*.0177=106.8KN/M^2

Last edited:
[tex]\sigma_1=E_1\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\sigma_2=E_2\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]F=(E_1A_1+E_2A_2)\epsilon[/tex]

Chestermiller said:
[tex]\sigma_1=E_1\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\sigma_2=E_2\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]F=(E_1A_1+E_2A_2)\epsilon[/tex]

Thanks Chester, a quick question.
When solving these problems do I need to Create an equation depending on what values I have been given, where I'm having trouble is which one of the values to use first.
e.g. If I selected E of timber first I would have ended up with 15/90. Is there a selection process or will it all work out to the same answers.

anthonyk2013 said:
Thanks Chester, a quick question.
When solving these problems do I need to Create an equation depending on what values I have been given, where I'm having trouble is which one of the values to use first.
e.g. If I selected E of timber first I would have ended up with 15/90. Is there a selection process or will it all work out to the same answers.
The method I indicated doesn't give preference to either. Try doing the problem by selecting E for the aluminum first, and see what you get. You should find that you get the same answer. So it doesn't really matter.

Thanks again.

is 0.0177*109 the same as 17.7MN/m2

1. What is a compound bar question?

A compound bar question is a type of question that involves two or more independent variables or factors, and asks how they may affect a dependent variable. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and studies to understand the relationship between variables and make predictions.

2. How do you set up a compound bar question?

To set up a compound bar question, you need to identify the independent variables or factors that you want to manipulate, and the dependent variable that you want to measure. Then, you can design an experiment or study to vary and control the independent variables, and observe how they may affect the dependent variable.

3. What is the difference between a compound bar question and a simple bar question?

A simple bar question only involves one independent variable, while a compound bar question involves two or more independent variables. This means that a simple bar question can only test the effect of one factor on the dependent variable, while a compound bar question can test the combined effects of multiple factors.

4. How do you analyze and interpret the results of a compound bar question?

To analyze and interpret the results of a compound bar question, you can use statistical methods such as ANOVA (analysis of variance) or regression analysis to determine the significance of the independent variables on the dependent variable. You can also create graphs or charts to visualize the relationships between the variables.

5. What are some examples of compound bar questions?

Some examples of compound bar questions include:

• How does temperature and pH level affect the growth of plants?
  • What is the combined effect of exercise and diet on weight loss?
  • How does caffeine consumption and sleep duration impact alertness?