Compression of a Spring on an Asteroid?

In summary, the problem involves launching a package from an airless asteroid of mass M and radius R, and using a spring with stiffness Ks to bring the package to a stop at a distance of 4R from the center of the asteroid. By applying the conservation of energy, the answer is found to be sqrt((3GmM)/(2Rks)).
smedearis

Homework Statement

A package with mass m sits on an airless asteroid of mass M and radius R. We want to launch a package straight up in such a way that its speed drops to zero when it is a distance 4R away from the center of the asteroid, where it's picked up by a waiting ship before it can fall back down. We have a powerful spring whose stiffness is Ks. How much must we compress the spring?

Homework Equations

I'm not quite sure what equations to use, except I'm almost positive we're going to use U(spring)= 1/2*Ks*s^2, where s is the abs value of the stretch/compression.
Maybe also use:
F(grav)=-G((M*m)/(|r21|^2))*rhat, where |r21| is the magnitude of the difference of locations between these two objects
or:
U(grav)=-G(M*m)/|r21|

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is: stretch=sqrt((3*G*m*M)/(2*R*Ks))
I just can't figure out how to get there. I assumed that the way we got the "3" on the top was due to the actual distance between them was 3R (since 1R was the actual radius of the asteroid.

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track with your equations. Consider conservation of enegy.

If i chose the system where everything is in the system, there is no work external. SO, Ugrav=-Uspring, b/c Delta K and Delta mc^2 go to zero.

but the answer is sqrt((3GmM)/(2Rks)) whereas my answer gives me:
sqrt((2GmM)/(3Rks)). what am i missing?

I think that you are simply making a manipulation error.

So we have conservation of energy;

Ugi + Uspring = Ugf

[tex]-\frac{GM}{R} + \frac{1}{2}k_{s}\cdot s^2 = -\frac{GM}{4R}[/tex]

Can you now go from here?

but doesn't that answer give me a 3 on the bottom and a 2 on the top? The answer has a 3 on the top and a 2 on the bottom. Am I doing my algebraic manipulation wrong?

Sorry, yes it does. I was reading your answers the wrong way round. From what I can see you have done nothing wrong, in my opinion your answer is correct. Perhaps, someone else can see the error?

smedearis said:
but doesn't that answer give me a 3 on the bottom and a 2 on the top? The answer has a 3 on the top and a 2 on the bottom. Am I doing my algebraic manipulation wrong?
You must be if you're getting the answer you got.

Consider this:
[tex]-a + x = -\frac{a}{4}[/tex]

That gives you:
[tex]x = \frac{3a}{4}[/tex]

Apply this manipulation and you'll get the expected answer.

1. How does the compression of a spring on an asteroid differ from that on Earth?

The compression of a spring on an asteroid differs from that on Earth due to the difference in gravity. On Earth, the force of gravity is much stronger than on an asteroid, which means the spring will compress more easily and to a greater extent. On an asteroid, the gravity is much weaker, so the spring will not compress as much and with less force.

2. What factors affect the compression of a spring on an asteroid?

The main factors that affect the compression of a spring on an asteroid are the asteroid's size, mass, and gravity. The smaller and less massive the asteroid is, the weaker its gravity will be, resulting in less compression of the spring. The material and strength of the spring itself will also play a role in its compression.

3. Can the compression of a spring on an asteroid be calculated?

Yes, the compression of a spring on an asteroid can be calculated using the formula F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed. However, this calculation may be more complex on an asteroid due to the varying gravity and other factors mentioned above.

4. How does the compression of a spring affect objects on an asteroid?

The compression of a spring can affect objects on an asteroid in various ways. For example, if the spring is used in a mechanism or instrument, its compression may impact the accuracy or functionality of the device. Additionally, if the spring is compressed near an object, it could potentially push or move that object due to the force exerted by the spring.

5. Is the compression of a spring on an asteroid constant?

No, the compression of a spring on an asteroid is not constant. As the asteroid moves and rotates in space, the gravity acting on the spring will change, resulting in varying degrees of compression. The compression may also change if the asteroid collides with another object or experiences any other external forces.