Compression of an ideal gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of various processes (isothermal, adiabatic, isobaric, isochoric) to an ideal gas with given values for Cp and Cv. The main focus is on determining Q, W, ΔU, and ΔH for each process using equations such as PV=nRT and the ideal gas law. The conversation also mentions the need for more information, such as the initial temperature or number of moles, in order to fully calculate these values.
zulfiqar6

Homework Statement

An ideal gas, Cp = (5/2)R, Cv = (3/2)R, is changed from P1 = 1 Bar and V1t = 12m^3 and V2t = 1m^3 by the following mechanically reversible processes:
a) Isothermal compression
b) Adiabatic compression followed by cooling at constant temperature
c) Adiabatic compression followed by cooling at constant volume
d) Heating at constant volume followed by cooling at constant pressure
e) cooling at constant pressure followed by heating at constant volume

find Q, W, ΔU, ΔH, and sketch a PV diagram for each process.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

For isothermal process (a): Q = -W = RTln(V2/V1)

for isobaric processes: Q = ΔH = ∫Cp dT
Adiabatic Processes: TV^(γ-1) = const, TP^(1-γ)/γ = const, PV^γ = const,
for Isochoric processes: Q = ΔU = ∫Cv dT

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that ΔU = 0 and ΔH = 0
moles aren't given. I can't find any way to get the initial temperature, which is needed for most of the calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
zulfiqar6 said:
I know that ΔU = 0 and ΔH = 0
Why is that?

zulfiqar6 said:
moles aren't given. I can't find any way to get the initial temperature, which is needed for most of the calculations.
Indeed, there is not enough information. Either give results as a function of ##n## or ##T##, or assume 1 mole.

DrClaude said:
Indeed, there is not enough information. Either give results as a function of ##n## or ##T##, or assume 1 mole.

Since it is an ideal gas, there is enough information because you can express Q, W, ΔU, ΔH in terms of P1, P2, V1, and V2 using nT = PV/R

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Since it is an ideal gas, there is enough information because you can express Q, W, ΔU, ΔH in terms of P1, P2, V1, and V2 using nT = PV/R
Right. Forget my previous comment.

I would like to point out that the problem statement is incomplete and lacks some necessary information to find the solutions. In order to accurately calculate the values of Q, W, ΔU, ΔH and sketch the PV diagram for each process, we would need to know the initial temperature or the number of moles of the ideal gas. Without this information, it is not possible to provide a precise solution to the problem.

Additionally, the equations provided in the problem statement are not entirely correct. For an isothermal process, Q = -W = nRTln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of the gas. For adiabatic processes, the equations are given as TV^(γ-1) = const, TP^(1-γ) = const, and PV^γ = const. Also, the equation for isochoric processes should be Q = ΔU = nCvΔT, where ΔT is the change in temperature.

In order to accurately solve this problem, we would need to know the initial temperature or the number of moles of the ideal gas. Without this information, it is not possible to provide a precise solution to the problem. I would suggest revising the problem statement to include all the necessary information for a complete and accurate solution.

1. What is the definition of compression of an ideal gas?

The compression of an ideal gas refers to the process of reducing the volume of a gas by applying external pressure. This results in an increase in the density and temperature of the gas.

2. Why is compression of an ideal gas important?

The compression of an ideal gas is important because it allows for the storage and transportation of gases in smaller volumes. It also plays a crucial role in various industrial processes, such as refrigeration, compression engines, and gas turbines.

3. How does the compression of an ideal gas affect its properties?

The compression of an ideal gas causes an increase in its pressure, temperature, and density. This is known as the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the temperature and the number of gas molecules.

4. What factors affect the compression of an ideal gas?

The compression of an ideal gas is affected by several factors, including external pressure, temperature, and the amount of gas present. Other factors, such as the type of gas and the presence of impurities, can also impact the compression process.

5. What is the relationship between compression and work done on an ideal gas?

The compression of an ideal gas involves the transfer of energy, which is known as work. The work done on an ideal gas during compression is equal to the product of the external pressure and the change in volume. This relationship is described by the first law of thermodynamics.