Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressor wanted - produce up to 100 bar/1450 psi @ 40Vdc

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    Compressor wanted -- produce up to 100 bar/1450 psi @ 40Vdc

I'm searching for a compressor that is compact but is able to produce up to 100 bar/1450 psi. It also should work on max 40V DC. Please say if you know similar compressors!
    Thanx already :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2014 #2
    Jordair makes Breathing Air compressors for applications like SCUBA, SCBA (for firefighters), things like that.

These compressors can fill tanks up to ~4500 psig. They are not cheap, and I doubt they run on 40 V DC. 100 bar is very high, these aren't little handheld units, you realize, right?

4. Apr 7, 2014 #3
    Yes i realize that, but it still should fit in a 30cm by 20 cm. At least That would be optimum...

5. Apr 7, 2014 #4
    I don't think that exists.

6. Apr 7, 2014 #5
    Well what do you think is the smallest?

7. Apr 7, 2014 #6
    The ones by Jordair, probably... They're not much bigger, but they're bigger. http://jordair.ca/products/diveline.html

Also, unless you go with the gas powered option, you'll likely be looking at a power source requirement of 208, 230, or 460 V AC. Not many people make small, high pressure compressors. There just isn't really a market for it. Also, I don't think it's possible to get enough power out of a 40 V DC power supply to supply anywhere near 1500 psig.

8. Apr 7, 2014 #7

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The RIX Microboost is only 1/2 hp but the motors are AC. There are also small, air powered compressors such as from Haskel and Hydraulics International (they have a crappy web site so give them a call). Also check with Shoebox. I realize none of these are driven by 40 VDC power but I don't think you'll find that. It's too oddball. Maybe convert to AC or run a DC powered low pressure air compressor for a booster? Good luck.

9. Apr 7, 2014 #8

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Are you compressing air for human breathing ?
    What CFM do you require ?

Gas compressors are different to Hydraulic pumps. Gas compressors have less dead space = higher compression ratio, and a much greater compressed gas cooling requirement.
    24VDC motors are widely available. For hydraulic equivalents, see this site;
    http://www.hydraproducts.co.uk/hydraulic-power-packs/mini-power-pack.aspx

10. Apr 7, 2014 #9
    I forgot about Air Amplifiers, only problem with them though is that you need a compressed air supply to feed them. So you'd need two systems running simultaneously (not a bad idea, just a lot bigger and more complex).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook