Compton Scattering: Solving for E with $\phi = 1/4\pi$

In summary, the conversation is about a Compton scattering problem where the equation for energy is incorrect but the final answer is still correct. The correct equation is shown to be ## \lambda' - \lambda = \frac { h} { mc} (1 - \cos{ \phi }) ## and the resulting energy is 1.75 MeV.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-28_0-15-42.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

## \lambda' = 2 \lambda ##

## \lambda' - \lambda = \lambda = \frac { h} { mc} \cos{ \phi } ##

Here, ## \phi = \frac { pi} 4 ## is the angle between photon's original line of motion and its line of motion after scattering.

Putting the values, I got E = ## \frac { hc} {\lambda } ## = 1.75 MeV, i.e. option (a).

Is this correct?
[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-28_0-15-42.png
    upload_2017-12-28_0-15-42.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 737
Physics news on Phys.org
The Compton scattering equation is incorrect, but the answer is (surprisingly) correct. ?

Hi
I have the same result (Ei=1.75 MeV) if I consider the Compton relationship$$E_{s}=\frac{E_{i}}{1+\frac{E_{i}}{mc^{2}} \left( 1-cos\theta \right) } $$Es=Ei/2
Sorry kuruman is the fastest

kuruman said:
The Compton scattering equation is incorrect, but the answer is (surprisingly) correct. ?
Because I did the right calculation and wrong typing.
The following is wrong:
Pushoam said:
## \lambda' - \lambda = \lambda = \frac { h} { mc} \cos{ \phi }##
The correct one is :
## \lambda' - \lambda = \lambda = \frac { h} { mc} ( 1 - \cos{ \phi })##

PSRB191921 said:
Sorry kuruman is the fastest
How did you get to know this? He has not shown the solution.

What is Compton Scattering?

Compton Scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) collides with an electron, resulting in the photon losing energy and changing direction. This was discovered by Arthur Compton in 1923 and has since been used to study the properties of electrons and photons.

What is the equation for Compton Scattering?

The equation for Compton Scattering is E=E0/(1+(E0/mc2)(1-cosθ)), where E is the energy of the scattered photon, E0 is the initial energy of the photon, m is the mass of the electron, and θ is the angle of scattering.

What is the significance of $\phi = 1/4\pi$ in Compton Scattering?

$\phi = 1/4\pi$ is a constant value that is used in the equation for Compton Scattering to account for the scattering of photons in all directions. It represents the solid angle of a sphere, which is used to calculate the probability of a photon being scattered in a particular direction.

What is the purpose of solving for E in Compton Scattering?

Solving for E allows us to determine the energy of the scattered photon, which can provide valuable information about the properties of the electron it collided with. This information can then be used to study the structure and behavior of matter on a microscopic level.

How is Compton Scattering used in scientific research?

Compton Scattering is used in a variety of scientific research, including in the fields of physics, chemistry, and medicine. It can be used to study the properties of electrons and photons, as well as to analyze the structure of materials and biological samples. In medicine, Compton Scattering is used in imaging techniques such as X-ray and CT scans to create detailed images of the human body.