1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton Shift and Momentum

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

X-rays with wavelength 55pm are scattered from a graphite target. Consider an x-ray which is scattered from a valence electron at an angle of 180 degrees (back towards the x-ray source).

a. Is the wavelength of the X-ray greater or less than before the collision?
    b. What is the momentum of the recoiling electrons?

2. Relevant equations

##\Delta\lambda=\frac {h} {mc}(1-cos(\theta))##
    ##p=\frac {h} {\lambda}##

3. The attempt at a solution

Part a. seems obvious. The X-ray collides with an electron, transfers some kinetic energy to it, losing some energy in the process. Less energy, longer wavelength, right?

Part b however, is giving me a few issues.
    I start by finding the Compton shift for 180 degrees, which gives [itex]\Delta\lambda=4.85pm[/itex].
    This means that the scattered X-ray should have a wavelength of 55+4.85=59.85pm, correct?
    This is where things get a bit hairy. The solution for this problem however, states that the recoiling X-ray has a wavelength of 50.14 pm. This doesn't seem to make sense, as the energy of the X-ray has increased, despite transferring energy to the electron (these solutions have had issues in the past). Anyway,they then simply use [itex]p=\frac{h}{\lambda}[/itex] to calculate the momentum of the recoiling electron, yielding (with their wavelength), 1.32E-23 Ns.
    I however have tried the following:
    ##p_{i}=p_{f}##
    ##\frac{h}{\lambda_{i}}=p_{electron}-\frac{h}{\lambda_{f}}##
    ##p_{electron}=h(\frac{1}{\lambda_{i}}+\frac{1}{\lambda_{f}})##
    ##p_{electron}=2.31E-23Ns## (using my values for wavelength, 55pm and 59.85pm)
    OR:
    ##p_{electron}=2.53E-23Ns##(using their values)
    Which of course, doesn't agree with the solutions.
    So, I was wondering, am I missing something fundamental and conceptual in regards to energy and wavelength shift and, is my momentum approach valid?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.
    I didn't check the number but the approach is right.
    50.14 pm is clearly wrong.

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3
    Alright, thanks, I was just worrying I'd managed to miss something fundamental!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted