Computational mathematics vs Applied Mathematics

In summary: However, if you want to do something in academia or research...then the applied mathematics route may be better.
PhysicsKid0123
Hello PF community, I have a question about a choice that I need to make soon and I would like some opinions from the community. So I am double majoring in physics and applied mathematics at the moment, and I have been thinking about changing my second major to computational mathematics instead. The main reason I am doing this is because I would be exposed to more computer science classes which could help in landing a job after college. Another reason is because I have noticed that computational math gives you greater capabilities for doing things and solving problems (I have been learning Mathematica lately). In light of computational math, I am actually not too sure how applied mathematics is different or any better. What do you all think is a better career choice, which is more marketable? Some quick facts to help understand me better:
  1. Sometime in the not-so-distant future I may be open to pursuing a masters or a PhD in EE, physics, or math after working a bit.
  2. I wouldn't mind working as a quant or something related to finance/financial analysis at some firm after college.
  3. I also wouldn't mind working at the CIA, NSA or some government-intelligence job after college.
  4. Ideally, I would like to work for NASA out of college.
  5. I would like to work for a tech/energy/aero company out of college.
  6. I would like a high paying job and I believe extra CS classes could help with that. Specifically, I think the title of "Computational Mathematics" sounds more appealing as opposed to "Applied Mathematics" when it comes to employers, but I don't know for certain and would definitely like to know.
Also, can someone give a good, solid distinction between the two? What is applied mathematics intended for and where is it intended to lead to, and what is computational mathematics for and where is it intended to lead to?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're asking a broad question that means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. What would help is that you show us what courses are different between the computational route vs the applied.

Lastly, on a resume if I read applied math or computational math, none of it matters to me.

PhysicsKid0123 said:
I have been thinking about changing my second major to computational mathematics instead.

The definitions of "computational mathematics major " and "applied mathematics major" will depend on the particular school that you attend. To get the best advice, you need to explain what specific courses are counted as credit for one major and not the other.

Different countries have different university systems. Is this a question about degree programs in the USA ? UK ?

PhysicsKid0123 said:
Hello PF community, I have a question about a choice that I need to make soon and I would like some opinions from the community. So I am double majoring in physics and applied mathematics at the moment, and I have been thinking about changing my second major to computational mathematics instead. The main reason I am doing this is because I would be exposed to more computer science classes which could help in landing a job after college. Another reason is because I have noticed that computational math gives you greater capabilities for doing things and solving problems (I have been learning Mathematica lately). In light of computational math, I am actually not too sure how applied mathematics is different or any better. What do you all think is a better career choice, which is more marketable? Some quick facts to help understand me better:
  1. Sometime in the not-so-distant future I may be open to pursuing a masters or a PhD in EE, physics, or math after working a bit.
  2. I wouldn't mind working as a quant or something related to finance/financial analysis at some firm after college.
  3. I also wouldn't mind working at the CIA, NSA or some government-intelligence job after college.
  4. Ideally, I would like to work for NASA out of college.
  5. I would like to work for a tech/energy/aero company out of college.
  6. I would like a high paying job and I believe extra CS classes could help with that. Specifically, I think the title of "Computational Mathematics" sounds more appealing as opposed to "Applied Mathematics" when it comes to employers, but I don't know for certain and would definitely like to know.
Also, can someone give a good, solid distinction between the two? What is applied mathematics intended for and where is it intended to lead to, and what is computational mathematics for and where is it intended to lead to?

Many thanks.
It would depend on what you would like to do after graduation. I personally majored in computation mathematics and my course load was mostly scientific computing, numerical analysis, and statistics. There was also a lot of applied courses I took. If you want go straight in industry computational mathematics will give you an advantage. If you want to go to graduate school after graduation then applied math is your best bet. I hope this helps.

1. What is the difference between computational mathematics and applied mathematics?

Computational mathematics is a field that focuses on developing and using numerical methods to solve mathematical problems, while applied mathematics involves the application of mathematical concepts to real-world problems.

2. How do the methods used in computational mathematics and applied mathematics differ?

The methods used in computational mathematics are primarily focused on numerical calculations and algorithms, whereas applied mathematics involves a wider range of techniques such as calculus, differential equations, and statistical analysis.

3. Which field is more useful in practical applications?

It depends on the specific problem being addressed. Computational mathematics is often used in fields such as engineering and physics to solve complex equations and simulate systems, while applied mathematics is often used in fields such as economics, biology, and social sciences.

4. Are there any similarities between computational mathematics and applied mathematics?

Both fields use mathematical concepts and techniques to solve problems, and there is often overlap between the two. For example, computational mathematics may use concepts from applied mathematics to develop numerical methods for solving equations.

5. Can someone have a career in both computational mathematics and applied mathematics?

Yes, many professionals have a background in both computational mathematics and applied mathematics. Some may specialize in one field but have knowledge and skills in the other, while others may work in interdisciplinary roles that require a combination of both fields.