1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Engineering or Computer Science?

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1
    I have heard that many of the Computer Engineering hardware jobs are mostly outsourced these days. Is this true? I'm kind of frustrated because I don't mind programming but I like learning about hardware too.

But, I know there are tons of programming jobs. Can someone with a CE degree still get a programming job doing high level code like Java or is that a job for a CS degree?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. One of the cool features here, is that once you start a thread, there is a section down at the bottom of the thread that shows Related Threads. There appear to be a number of them! Wow. The first one has 28 posts, so hopefully it will help you out some. Here's the direct link:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179816

4. Dec 4, 2009 #3

Borg

Gold Member

Sentience, I've interviewed a number of people over the last ten years for Java development positions. If you've taken the required courses, you can get work as a programmer. My own degree isn't in computer programming and I've done fine.

After reading the link that berkeman posted, there was one good insight to getting a job that I definitely agree with - netspeak, sloppy writing, etc. do get noticed on resumes and correspondence. If I have a choice between two identical developers, guess who I'm going to choose? BTW, that advice is for anyone else who may be reading this - your writing is fine.

5. Dec 4, 2009 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook