Computer Science with a minor in Electrical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in both the software and hardware aspects of computers and their desire to potentially program robots and use electrical engineering skills to design them. They express concern about taking on too much workload and wonder if pursuing a degree in computer engineering would be a better option.
Niaboc67
I've always been fascinated by how a computer operates both through code and through its physical devices. This is my eternal struggle, I like both the software and hardware side of computers. I'd like to possible programming robots and use my electrical engineering design to know how to make them. I don't want to set myself up for too much of a workload. Does this seem like an overwhelming degree set up?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this is somewhat of a rare setup. Typically it's the other way around--electrical engineering students minor in computer science. Do you have any way to instead go for computer engineering? That would combine both worlds into one.

ya that sounds like computer engineering to me.

Related to Computer Science with a minor in Electrical Engineering

1. What is the difference between Computer Science and Electrical Engineering?

Computer Science focuses on the design, development, and use of computer systems and software while Electrical Engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Computer Science often involves programming and software development, while Electrical Engineering involves working with hardware and physical systems.

2. Why should I choose to minor in Electrical Engineering with a major in Computer Science?

A minor in Electrical Engineering can provide a strong foundation in hardware and electrical systems, which is becoming increasingly important in the field of computer science. It can also open up job opportunities in both industries and make you a more well-rounded and versatile candidate for future positions.

3. What kind of courses can I expect to take in this program?

The exact courses will vary depending on the university, but common courses in Computer Science with a minor in Electrical Engineering include programming, algorithms, computer architecture, digital systems, circuits, and electronics. You may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in fields such as robotics, artificial intelligence, or data science.

4. Are there any specific skills or background knowledge required for this program?

Most universities require a strong foundation in math, including calculus and linear algebra, as well as basic knowledge of computer programming. Some may also require physics courses. It is also helpful to have a strong interest in both computer science and electrical engineering and a desire to learn about both fields.

5. What career options are available with a degree in Computer Science and a minor in Electrical Engineering?

With this combination of skills, you can pursue a wide range of career options in industries such as technology, telecommunications, aerospace, and more. Some possible job titles include software engineer, data scientist, systems analyst, embedded systems engineer, or hardware engineer. You may also have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies such as artificial intelligence, virtual reality, or self-driving cars.