Can you simplify this geometric series for computing the z-transform?

In summary, the conversation is about computing a geometric series and using it to find the z-transform of a given function. The problem involves sums with 2k and 2k+1 which the person is struggling with. They have tried a solution but are unsure if it is correct. The expert suggests using the formula for the sum of a geometric series and provides helpful tips for solving the problem.
yoran
Hi,

I have a problem with computing this geometric series.

Homework Statement

I have to compute
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty{(\frac{1}{2z})^{2k}} + \sum_{i=0}^\infty{(\frac{1}{3z})^{2k+1}}[/tex].
It's for computing the z-transform of
[tex]f[k]=0[/tex] for [tex]k<0[/tex]
[tex]f[k]=(\frac{1}{2})^k[/tex] for [tex]k=0,2,4,6,...[/tex]
[tex]f[k]=(\frac{1}{3})^k[/tex] for [tex]k=1,3,5,...[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's the [tex]2k[/tex] and [tex]2k+1[/tex] that annoys me in the sum.
I tried
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty{(\frac{1}{2z})^{2k}}=\sum_{i=0}^\infty{(\frac{1}{4z^2})^{k}}[/tex]
but I don't know if that helps?

Thanks,

Yoran

Physics news on Phys.org
yoran said:
Hi,

I have a problem with computing this geometric series.

Homework Statement

I have to compute
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty{(\frac{1}{2z})^{2k}} + \sum_{i=0}^\infty{(\frac{1}{3z})^{2k+1}}[/tex].
It's for computing the z-transform of
[tex]f[k]=0[/tex] for [tex]k<0[/tex]
[tex]f[k]=(\frac{1}{2})^k[/tex] for [tex]k=0,2,4,6,...[/tex]
[tex]f[k]=(\frac{1}{3})^k[/tex] for [tex]k=1,3,5,...[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's the [tex]2k[/tex] and [tex]2k+1[/tex] that annoys me in the sum.
I tried
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty{(\frac{1}{2z})^{2k}}=\sum_{i=0}^\infty{(\frac{1}{4z^2})^{k}}[/tex]
but I don't know if that helps?
Yes, that helps a great deal! The sum of a geometric series is given by
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty ar^i= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]
In this case a= 1 and r= 4z2.

Similarly, for the second sum
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty{(\frac{1}{3z})^{2k+1}}[/tex]
You can factor out 1 [itex]1/3z[/itex] and then take the "2" from "2k" 'inside' to get
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty{\frac{1}{3z}(\frac{1}{9z^2})^k}[/tex]
Now you have a= 1/3z and r= [itex]1/9z^2[/itex].
Thanks,

Yoran

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number, called the common ratio. The general formula for a geometric series is: a + ar + ar2 + ar3 + ... + arn-1, where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. How do you compute a geometric series?

To compute a geometric series, you can use the formula: Sn = a(1 - rn) / (1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. You can also use the recursive formula: Sn = Sn-1 * r + a.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric series?

A finite geometric series has a fixed number of terms, whereas an infinite geometric series has an infinite number of terms. An infinite geometric series can only be computed if the common ratio is between -1 and 1, otherwise it will diverge and have no sum. A finite geometric series will always have a sum, regardless of the value of the common ratio.

4. How can a geometric series be used in real life?

Geometric series can be used in many real life situations, such as calculating compound interest, population growth, and depreciation of assets. They can also be used in physics and engineering to model exponential decay and growth. In finance, geometric series can be used to calculate the future value of an investment.

5. What is the relationship between a geometric series and a geometric sequence?

A geometric series is the sum of a geometric sequence. In a geometric sequence, each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a common ratio, while in a geometric series, all the terms of the sequence are added together.